Chapter 72

Archer was in an unusual state of mind.

Well to be honest he's been in an unusual mood from the moment he was summoned. He was not summoned in the most ordinary of conditions, life on earth was annihilated in a cataclysmic fire, then was supposed to fight in these Singularities and so on...

But more specifically, at the moment, Archer was in an even more unusual mood, looking at... His Master.

Ainz Ooal Gown.

An Undead... It was not Archer's most frequent opponent, but Archer did have some knowledge regarding the monsters created by black magic based on the bodies and souls of the dead. It may not be enough to call himself a full-fledged undead expert, but it was enough to roughly understand what the undead are like.

But while observing Ainz, Archer felt his practical knowledge, fostered and collected over many years and uncountable battles, was threatened to crumble into useless dust.

Ainz exceeded all the undead seen before by Archer so much that even trying to compare them seemed ridiculous to Archer. Where an ordinary undead would either have decaying flesh or even bare bones, there was only a snow-white body that Archer, for all his cunning and observation, could not find a single proof that the body could ever belong to a person. Rather, it seemed as if Ainz had been created as a perfect undead from the very beginning. Instead of an unpleasant aura that would be created by the corpse animated by dark magic, Ainz's figure radiated a primordial force, more suitable for a king - or, if someone wants to make an even more bombastic comparison - to a God. And, of course, instead of the primitive thirst for blood and hate for life that a brainless undead exuded, Ainz instead...

"What a pity," Ainz shook his head, "I really wanted to try your cooking..."

Yes, this also contrasted strongly with Archer's knowledge of the undead.

Of course, Archer knew that Ainz's real body was not human at all - and, unlike the other Servants, he took special care to find out what Ainz really looked like.

However, the description that he managed to get from asking the others - "a terrifyingly strong undead" - completely did not convey the whole picture of what he actually saw. Of course, theoretically, Archer could get more information from, for example, Cainabel, but...

To ask her? Archer was not crazy enough to do such a suicidal thing.

"Ahem," Ainz cleared his throat a little, after which he looked at Archer and, having carefully examined him, bowed his head a little, "Is... Is everything all right?"

Archer was ready to fight to the death against Ainz. But the fact that Ainz will ask him questions that, apparently, concerned his well-being, he was definitely not ready.

Archer, as a Servant, had certain advantages over ordinary people. And as one of the incarnations of the Counter-Force, he also had certain advantages even over other Servants. One of these advantages was, for example, his instinct.

Although there are many Servants who could determine that Ainz was not a simple Servant, Archer's instinct was comparable in this aspect with the mind of Da Vinci herself. However, if Da Vinci could find out everything thanks to her intelligence and abilities and to find it from a scientific point of view, then Archer's knowledge was more instinctive. In other words things such as: is that the enemy, how strong is the enemy, how great is his influence on the world around him, and how bad is the situation in which Archer found himself in.

The answer to the last three questions were very simple - "very". Ainz is very strong, his influence is very great and the situation is very bad. It was all the more strange for Archer that the answer "is the enemy standing in front of me?" - his instincts answered him with a resounding "no."