Chapter 103

There was nothing special Serenity can do in Chaldea to occupy her time. Not that there were that many of them in Chaldea for everyone else mind you. But for Serenity, the already limited choice of entertainment was even more limited because of her nature.

Serenity, basically from her childhood, was practically deprived of communication with other people. So she did not manage to develop any specific attitude towards it, therefore she could not say that she lacked human companionship. Rather, on the contrary, she was happy with her situation where she extremely rarely crossed paths with other people... In fact, she hardly interacts with anyone except for Hassan and Kiyohime. Even so, it is quite the rare occurrence meeting with both the first and the second.

However she did not hate her lot in life, rather Serenity simply took it for granted. Yes, her careless touch can kill even a Servant nevermind an ordinary Magi. So for the purposes of banal safety rules, Serenity should, as much as possible, limit her interactions with anyone who was not immune to her poison.

And since Serenity could not remember anyone with such a skill, except perhaps Ainz who is often absent from Chaldea, Serenity fully understood the reason why she did not really have the opportunity to interact with anyone.

Furthermore, since not only her touch was poisonous but also any of her physiological fluid. In this case, sweat and even to some extent the smallest drops of water vapor that she exhaled constantly are also deadly poisonous. So to eliminate any chance of her indirectly poisoning anyone by accident, Serenity spent most of her time inside her room.

She did go out occasionally, mostly for books in the library — or for some food that Servant Archer regularly cooked — but naturally Serenity spent most of her time in her room.

Such a stay was not sad or depressing for Serenity. She was after all raised in a sect of assassins, a very solitary existence in the first place, but she was also groomed to one day become their head. So Serenity is used to ignoring such unfortunate moments in her life.

Still, staying in her room all the time was outrageously boring.

Although the books did a good job of brightening her loneliness - due to the fact that there were practically no alternative activities in her room, after some time, they had lost their charm.

Therefore, Serenity knew, for example, that a calm step from her was only thirty-two centimeters in length, that the back wall of the cabinet in her room had a thickness and shape suitable for creating about three secret pockets to hide daggers in. And that the small candelabrum, hanging from the ceiling, discounting the light bulbs, had exactly twenty-nine scratches.

Yes, she was nearly bored to death.

And Serenity's boredom was brightened by only three people.

First is Kiyohime. Perhaps she was the most boring of the possible people she usually interacted with. Often, Serenity would bump into that one just on the threshold of her room, like Kiyohime spent her time waiting on the door or something. After that both girls would throw out several semi-insults to each other and then with that done would go their own way. One to dream about something unrealizable, and the other... To do something else.

Second is Roman. Roman appeared on the threshold of her room less often than Kiyohime, and he often did not stay for long. Serenity didn't really understand the reason why he sometimes visited her. Usually he would just ask something insignificant like 'how are you doing?' As if something could have changed from the moment he asked her that same question the last time. Roman then would proceed to give her some book he found and then he would leave. Is it possible that he was doing the mythical 'social visit'? Maybe.