Chapter 30

"Say it again - who are you?" - it seemed as if John was absolutely calm, but anyone could feel the barely restrained anger in his voice, which made the huge man in front of him shiver under the sheer pressure of John's voice.

"Henry, son of a blacksmith..." he repeated once more, so John, hearing the same response as the few times before could not restrain himself and hit the table next to him, making the table to creak plaintively.

"Devil!" - he said, continuing to beat on the oak boards, - "Devil! Devil! Devil!"

"John!"" - Gilles de Rais shouted at him, after which John, having brought his hand up for the next blow, stopped.

"Leave," he dismissed the big guy in front of him to jump out of the tent instantly, after which he became silent for a second.

"Chevalier deceived us all," Ainz sighed and looked at his hands.

"HELL YES! He created a trap in which we didn't gain anything - no, even worse- we lost one of your champions in it, one of the few champions capable of fighting the Witch!" - it seemed as if finally saying it out loud infuriated John more, - "He created a trap - and goddamn Hell - this one turned out to be successful!"

"John, please, calm down," Gilles said calmly, but instead of stopping, the man in front of him only froze, and then sighed.

"I'll go get some air," John took a few quick steps, and then left the commander's tent.

"Don't be angry with John," Gilles said, after which he sighed and reached for a glass of wine, "The attack of the Witch happened... Not as successfully as we had hoped."

"Yes, I know," Ainz sighed, "A thousand dead and as many wounded."

"Yes," Gilles sighed once more and took a generous sip of wine. "We did not plan that other Servants would participate in the attack."

"I know " Ainz sighed. After the failed rescue attempt, he would not move directly to the camp - he was afraid of a chase from the Witch, and especially from her dragon. So he teleported randomly several times, after which he hid, then watched the city with his magic. Unfortunately, his observation of the city did not bring him any special information, except for the fact that, having been brutalized by the operation that had already been considered unsuccessful by the Witch and the unrest that had begun, she just ordered her dragon, due to which it, without any distinction between who were allies and who were enemies, simply burned the whole city, along with all the guards, wyverns and civilians. At the same time, due to observing the city and fearing the possibility of a chase, Ainz was unable to protect the French army camp at the moment its attack by the Witch's Servants, because of that the battle took place without him - all that he knew was exclusively from the words of Cu Chulainn, Medusa and Serenity. They told him a very sad - but probably logical story.

The Witch really was pissed off by the failure of her ambush, as Chevalier had said - however, the attack on the French army did not happen with the goal of destruction - but of intimidation. In addition to the army itself, many undead and wyverns, two Servants also took part in the attack - and in addition to the already familiar, to him, Carmilla a certain mage entered the battle too. They did not pursue the destruction of the Servants remaining in the camp — all they wanted was to bring the Witch's wrath to the soldiers. And they did it.

The original plan was that when any enemy would try to attack the army, Jeanne would appear with the other Servants and then shield the soldiers from the assault - however, as it turned out, even a few minutes of delay in responding to the attack would bring a large cost to the army.

While Carmilla did not possess the abilities capable of a large scale massacre - the second Servant, the mage,was more than capable.

"Caster was not identified?" - Ainz said, not expecting an answer, and Gilles shook his head, after which he poured himself a second glass of wine.