Chapter 39

Olga-Marie chewed a pen thoughtfully.

She really wanted to smoke, but there were no more cigarettes in Chaldea.

On the first day after her 'rescue', she collected all the cigarettes from all the survivor, under the pretext of destroying things that could cause a fire, and then she smoked it all with pleasure, but since then, for obvious reasons, she could not find more cigarettes.

'Damn!' - the girl mentally cursed, after which she threw the pen on the table and moved away from it, then she got up and stepped aside, staring at the large stained-glass window behind her.

Unfortunately, it was useless to look out the window now. Previously, from Olga-Marie's office one could see the beautiful view of the snowy distant peaks of the Alps and the pure nature, untouched by man. Now all she could see was just the bluish dome of the shimmering barrier and the flashes of orange-red flame barely visible behind it.

Reports, reports, reports...

All this made her head hurt. She just wanted to smoke a couple of cigarettes and forget about what happened as a nightmare.

But it was impossible.

The girl closed her eyes, after which she massaged her head and returned to the stack of documents lying on the table.

Report on the functionality of the main core...

The girl looked at the dry numbers.

The first block... Destroyed, restoration impossible.

The second block... Destroyed, restoration impossible.

The third block... Damaged, partially restored, functionality at sixty percent.

The fourth block... Damaged, work is underway to restore the functionality possibly at least increasing functionality by ten percent.

The girl leaned back in her chair and closed her eyes.

The overall functionality of the core is at twenty-six percent. According to estimates, it will be possible to increase it to forty percent after completing all possible repair. The remaining parts must be rebuilt, for this they would need materials, which needs money and suppliers. All things that they can't get.

"Dog shit," the girl cursed almost helplessly. Forty percent of the core... And what she was supposed to do about the rest?

The core was an incredibly powerful thing, capable of creating so much energy that it would be enough to power half the world for a couple of months. But it was not without limit.

There were no perpetual machine in nature. At least none achievable by a simple mind for sure. Of course, once her father, Marisbury Animusphere, came dangerously close to unraveling this phenomenon, creating the core of Chaldea, but even he failed to create an eternal source of energy. One hundred, two hundred, three hundred, five hundred thousand years? Yes. Forever? No.

Under normal conditions, the Animusphere would not even have thought about it. For her a century of reserves would have been enough and a thousand times more. But the conditions around her were anything but definitely not ordinary.

What happened behind the barrier was unexplainable from the point of view of any normal person, scientist or mage. There was no way to even assess what level of damage the Chaldean shields were holding back now.

Chaldea would have survived even if it had been stuck in the center of a supernova explosion. The only question is - for how long?

At the time before the calamity, Chaldea possessed ninety-seven percent of its maximum capacity of energy. After the explosion, twenty-five.