Olli Maatta

You walked away. You walked away from the kid that had your heart and would always have a piece of it. You thought he might come after you, but he didn't. He stood there in the snow, staring at your shrinking silhouette.

Even though he lived down the road, you made sure to avoid him whenever you could. You rarely went to games, the ones you did he was injured and wouldn't be playing. You walked away, but his actions were what made you leave.

It was Light Up Night and you were out with friends, drinking spiked hot chocolate. You didn't expect to see any of the team there. Downtown was always packed. But at the ice skating rink, an all too familiar group of hockey players were taking pictures of the tree.

"I uh- I um." You struggled to get the words out as Olli's eyes locked on yours. "Gonna be sick."

The peppermint schnapps in your cocoa made your stomach uneasy and your ex-boyfriend just made it worse.

"Told you not to drink tonight." One of the guys snapped as your best friend rubbed your back.

"It's not because of the alcohol, fuckass." You wiped your mouth, wishing Olli hadn't seen you and wasn't walking over to talk to you.

"Are you okay?"

"Peachy, babe."

"Can we talk?" You looked at your best friend who nodded, encouraging you to go off with the hockey player. You walked away so that no one could hear your conversation. "Listen, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you. I was an idiot and I can't take back what happened, but damn what I'd give." He took a deep breath, "I should've chased after you."

"Olli-"

"No. I love you and I want you back. I can understand if you don't feel the same way." You thought about for a few seconds before smiling. Most of the time, you would say you were ex's for a reason, but you thought Olli deserved a second chance.

"If I didn't just throw up, I'd kiss you." You smiled, hiding your bright red cheeks with your hands. His grin was ear to ear as he picked you up and spun you around.

"Goodness, I've missed you."