Damien Brunner

So sorry it took so long! Hope you like it!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You were at the grocery store, trying to find something that you could easily cook. You were dead tired from work and school and you really just wanted to sleep. You set the items you were buying on the conveyor belt and handed over enough cash to pay for them before thanking the girl and leaving the store.

On the way out, you ran into someone you hadn't seen in a few months.

"Damien," You stood there, not sure what to say. Then suddenly, all the memories came flooding back.

"What are you doing?" You questioned him as he lifted you from your chair, making you drop your book, "Damien, Damien!" 

Next thing you knew you were in the pool, your boyfriend not far behind you.

"You looked like you needed cooling off," he said, pulling you close to him. You shook your head and swam to the edge. It wasn't the first time he had done this.

"How are you?" He asked. So many things ran through your head.

Tired. Sick. Broken.

"I'm fine," You lied, "How have you been?"

You tried listening to him, but all you could think about was the time he took you to Switzerland for your anniversary.

"It's beautiful here," you told him, looking out at the lake, "Absolutely amazing. I can't believe you got to grow up somewhere like this."

"Yeah, I guess it's pretty cool," He played it down. You hit his stomach and you went back into his house. You had lunch with his family earlier that day, but right now it was just the two of you.

You grabbed plates and silverware and he grabbed the food from the oven. The day of your actual anniversary was simple, but eating dinner while the sun was setting over the lake was perfect.

"What have you been up to?"

"Oh, you know. School. Work. That fun life."

"Well, I'll let you go. It was great seeing you!" You faked a smile and made your way to your car.

The best part about living alone was that no one saw you close the door and completely break down. The chicken was going to unthaw, but you weren't worried about that right now. The flaskbacks from all the fights clouded up your mind.

"You're never here anymore, Damien. Even when you aren't traveling, you don't come home," The tears in the corners of your eyes were threatening to spill over. He just looked at you with cold, dark eyes," I can't handle being a hockey player's girlfriend anymore. Not if he acts like this."

"Good thing you don't have to," He told you as he walked out the door.

You thought maybe it would be like one of those stories you read. He would come back and he would say sorry and everything would be fine. But no, he didn't come back. He never said sorry. You were left wondering what you did wrong, where the relationship fell apart.

Finally, you got the strength to get up off the floor and start your dinner. After all, the sooner you did that, the sooner you got to go to bed.

You were almost finished when the doorbell rang, "Just a second," You called out, turning the stove down a little so it wouldn't burn. 

You opened the door and before you could figure out who was on the other side, Damien's lips connected with yours.

"I'm so sorry. I miss you. Will you forgive me?"