Surprise - T'Challa x Reader

Words: 1012
Pairing: T'Challa x Reader
Warnings: kinda sad, talk of being experimented on
Requested by anon.
"I feel like there isn't enough T'Challa imagines, I would love a Fluffy T'Challa x reader imagine. Maybe where the readers been gone on a mission for some time, she returns late at night the mission having been unnerving and difficult and the reader goes to T'Challa for comfort."
Summary: After a particularly rough mission, you return to Wakanda to see T'Challa. He's worried about you, as well, and you two have some time to talk.
Author's Note: fluffy T'Challa is adorable

*Edited*

---

T'Challa had been worried for a while. You had been gone for two weeks without much contact. Either you were at some hidden base with the team or on a physical mission, he didn't know. And he was worried to no extent.

You two are best friends, and you couldn't ask for more. You both had feelings for one another, but were afraid that it would mess up everything you've got going right now. Plus, with the work that you two are involved in, things could get complicated.

His plan was to go on this mission, but he got sick right before everyone left—what luck.

He was more than worried about you. You guys had been best friends for years. You weren't born in Wakanda, but you moved with your parents and met T'Challa around town. You guys quickly became inseparable and still are to this day.

It was getting late, and T'Challa was about ready to go to sleep. That was until something came through on his room speaker.

"They're back."

He quickly shot up and ran out of his room to meet you as soon as possible. When he saw you, he pulled you into a tight hug.

"Oh, I have missed you so much!" T'Challa said as he hugged you.

It felt good to be back in his arms again. "Mhm." You sighed.

T'Challa put his hands on your shoulders and pushed you back far enough to get a look at you. He saw that you weren't smiling, and your eyes were red. Before either of you said anything, he pulled you into his room, so if something happened, it would just be between the two of you.

"What happened on the mission?" He asked.

You shrugged, scared to talk about it. And of course, T'Challa could tell what you meant by the shrug; it was the perk of being friends for so long.

"Is the mission over?" He asked, and you just shook your head.

"I couldn't do it anymore." You sighed.

"Do you want to talk about it?" T'Challa asked you.

You shrugged. "HYDRA had photos of m-my.." You stuttered.

"Oh, (Y/N), I'm so sorry..." He hugged you.

When you were young, your families got along very well. You heard the tales of the Black Panther from T'Challa's family, and T'Challa had told you the secret of the Black Panther. You were amazed that his family was involved with that, and your ten-year-old mind thought it was the coolest thing ever. When you told your parents, they didn't believe you.

Maybe that was for the best.

When you turned eighteen, your parents had to move back to your hometown, far away from Wakanda. But you chose to stay with your best friend in hopes of helping fight off crime.

HYDRA caught you one night in hopes of drawing out the Black Panther. Until that happened, they decided they would experiment. And that's how you got your powers of fire and water control and how you became an Avenger.

Sure, your powers helped you help others, and you were working with the Avengers. But the memories of those few days and weeks were horrid. And T'Challa didn't even need to hear another word out of your mouth to know that they tried to get to you by showing you photos of the time you spent with HYDRA. Luckily, T'Challa was there to save you and help you cope with your new powers.

He felt horrible that he didn't go on the mission with you, but was glad that you were able to come back.

"I, I don't know what I would do without you." You sighed and clung to his shirt like it was the only thing keeping you to the ground.

"I don't know what I would do without you; you are the best thing that's ever happened to me," T'Challa told you, a smile visible on his face. It was moments like these you wished that you could just reach up and kiss him, but you both had discussed relationships. A lot, actually.

"Hey," You said quietly.

"Yes?" He asked, looking down at you.

"I can say whatever I need around you and not be judged, right?"

"Of course." He replied.

You took a deep breath. "I've been thinking, and lately, I have realized that I'm not going to find anyone that's good to be with me." You said, and T'Challa just kept looking at you.

"Well, kind of." You said. "On the mission, I was stuck in a part of the base by myself. That's where they showed me those... yeah, but they also had told me that it was the perfect opportunity for them to try out a new device. And before I could reject, they grabbed my arm."

"Oh my, are you okay?" He asked, grabbing at your arm, worried.

"I'm fine." You laughed a bit. "The device was to show strengths and weaknesses, but it also showed, well, social stuff." You shrugged. "My weakness is losing people I care about, my harsh past with HYDRA, you know."

"And..." T'Challa encouraged you to go on.

"My strengths, there was a picture of you." You told him. "You're my motivation to do what I do, help protect people." T'Challa smiled at you and kissed the top of your head.

"You are my motivation too."

"That's not all." You sighed. "There was a fluke in their program where it showed the social stuff, and apparently, it was able to show something that surprised Hydra. And when I was fighting them, a bit of my blood got onto the machine, which activated this fluke." You tried to explain, but it just came out sounding crazy.

"Look, somehow, it showed soul mates. And your picture was there."

T'Challa didn't say anything, and you couldn't read what his face was trying to say.

"I haven't been able to stop thinking about it." You admitted, hoping it would urge him to talk.

"Well, that is a surprise." T'Challa smiled, and kissed you.  "Looks like you're stuck with me."