Take What's Yours - Bucky Barnes x Reader

Words: 1242
Pairing: Bucky Barnes x Reader
Warnings: yelling, fighting, angst, breaking things, drinking, mention of guns
Requested by anon
Summary: Bucky's been lying to you, and you have had enough of it.
Author's Note: Bucky might be a little ooc, but I imagine he had some hard times transferring to working with the Avengers, leading him to some bad coping methods (alcohol). Happy ending tho!

*Edited*

---

"I can't believe you right now!" You shouted, "You're making excuses!"

"For your own safety!" Bucky shouted back.

"If you have to lie about where you are and what you're doing, then I don't know why you think that's keeping me safe!" You rolled your eyes, tears starting to form.

"I was at work!" Bucky argued, "I was following a new threat!"

"Then you were out drinking for hours! When I called your team to ask where you were, they had no idea!" You yelled, "You had me so worried!"

"Well, sorry, I was trying to protect the world!" 

You groaned and fell back onto the couch. "Bucky, when I found you, you were clinking drinks with the drunk asshole sitting next to you. That didn't look like work."

"Okay, so, I got a little sidetracked!" Bucky's hands flew in the air, angry that you would turn on him like this.

"I can't argue with you right now; you're still half-drunk. I'm going to bed; you can stay on the couch," You stood up, walked out of the room, and slammed the door shut. 

---

You walked out of your apartment to go to work, passing the living room. For the past week, you hadn't been speaking to Bucky.

Bucky was still asleep when you walked out of the apartment, feeling guilty when you looked away from him. You could tell he was upset, but you couldn't bring yourself to talk to him. He was lying to you and about more than one thing. He lied about where he was for his job, and when you asked if he had been drinking more than usual, he said no. You found empty bottles hidden all over; this new job as an Avenger was stressing him out more than he thought it would, and it was ruining your relationship.

You really hoped this split between you and Bucky would show him that he needed to work on his act. You even talked to Steve, and he was trying to get through to Bucky during the day, but it was hard to get him even to listen.

You gave the sleeping Bucky one last look before you shut your apartment door. Hopeful that Bucky would return to his old self, you left for another day at work in the city. Maybe he would go back to the man you first fell in love with.

After work, you agreed to meet up with a friend who wanted to help you calm down from this whole Bucky situation. It probably wasn't the smartest idea, as if Bucky heard about who you were with, he would be livid. But it's your friend, and Bucky knew you had a time set to hang out with him! It was a totally different situation than what Bucky did to you; you actually told your boyfriend a week ago and who it was with. He probably ended up forgetting, thanks to the alcohol.

Bucky called you, worried about why you weren't back at the apartment. It was getting late, and he didn't know if you were safe. He managed to track your phone, and to your guesses, he was irritated when he saw you sitting with one of your male friends from work. His hands formed fists, and his face went red with anger; how could you get mad at him if you went behind his back and did the same thing?

He rushed back to his shared home with his emotions swirling around his head. First, he was scared. Then confused, and now he was just angry all over. He picked up a framed picture of you and Bucky on holiday, smiled at it, then punched it; the glass broke all over the floor.

He ran to the fridge to find something to drink, and he didn't think he could get any angrier. All his bottles were missing, a note replacing them. "Because I love you," It read in your handwriting.

"You have a real shitty way of showing it," Bucky grumbled and knocked the lamp on the table behind him onto the floor.

You thanked your friend for a lovely night away from the drama taking place at your home. But when you walked into your apartment, you screamed like you were being robbed. The apartment was trashed; the tables were flipped, the lights were broken, and glass smashed. You walked over and picked up your favorite picture of you and Bucky, sighing that it was broken in all that happened.

You headed for the secret spot where Bucky kept a gun in case something like this were to happen, but before you could get there, you heard mumbling. Sure, your boyfriend taught you a few self-defense moves, so if you had to fight, you could. You walked to the noise only to find Bucky staring at a picture of you, swear words coming out his mouth along with other rude things.

Before you said anything, you looked into the other doors you were near. No other room was trashed, just the main part of the apartment. "Bucky?" You called softly, catching his attention.

His head snapped around with a glare on his face. "Nice for you to finally come home!" He told you, a sarcastic tone evident in his voice.

"What do you mean? What happened here?" You raised your eyebrow as you looked back around the room.

"You called me a liar with my job, and then I find out you did the same thing to me after work today? You went out with someone!" Bucky shouted, throwing the picture of you to the ground, smashing it as well.

"Bucky," You started, sighing, "I told you about how I agreed to go out with a few friends after work today; did you forget?"

Bucky rolled his eyes. "You're such a hypocrite! You tell me one thing and then do the exact same!" Bucky stomped on your photo.

"You need to calm down," You told him, "You aren't you anymore, Bucky," You started, only getting a look of confusion from him. "You aren't the same person I fell in love with. This work you do, it's taken a toll on your emotional health. The drinking is something you would have never done, let alone coming home to destroy our apartment," You gestured around.

"So? People change."

"They don't change like this, not drastically," You sighed. "Look, I think we should take some time apart so you can find yourself and get back to being the lovable Bucky that I would take a bullet for."

"(Y/N), no, I won't let you do this!" Bucky shouted, only knocking another thing on the floor as he protested.

"Listen, I think you need to take what's yours and leave the apartment until you sort things out."

Bucky cocked his head to the side. "If you say so," He mumbled. Before you could say a word, you were thrown over his shoulder, with no noises made.

"Bucky!" You yelled, "What are you doing?"

"I'm taking what's mine," He walked out of the destroyed apartment, "I'm not going to let us lose something that easily. I'll get better, in time. But for now, let's go on a vacation," Bucky smiled, and even though you couldn't see it, you knew it was there.

You didn't realize how much you missed his smile until you saw it again, and that made you smile back at him.