That Would Be Enough - Bucky Barnes x (f)Reader

Words: 552
Pairing: Bucky Barnes x (f)Reader
Warnings: pregnant reader
Requested by anon
Summary: Based off of That Would Be Enough from Hamilton, you manage to get your husband home from an Avengers mission to tell him something serious and make sure he's alive to see it all.
Authors Note: Anddddd I'm slowly becoming more and more obsessed with Hamilton so I'm really happy about this request. And, this one is kinda short due to being on vacation but I still love it :) As always, lyrics are in italics!

*Edited*

---

"Bucky?" You asked when you heard your apartment door open.

"Doll..." He smiled to himself.

"You really are alive." You grabbed his shoulders and ran your hands down his arms with a smile.

"How did you know?" Bucky asked as he kissed your cheek.

"I just did, then I asked Steve. And he confirmed it." It had been three months since you had seen him, and two months ago, you were told he was dead.

"How long have you known?"

"I found out a month ago." You told him. "I asked Steve to send you home."

"What? Why would you do that? I was fighting by his side, and you know how important that is." Bucky said like you were insane.

"I knew you wouldn't stop fighting unless you were told, or it was over, and I need you to be alive for at least a few more months." You said.

"What's going on?" He asked you. "Why are you so worried this time around?"

"I think that my husband should be able to meet his son when he comes to join the world." You said quietly.

Bucky took a step back a bit. "You're pregnant?"

You nodded. "Four months."

"What? You're barely showing."

You shrugged. "That's what the doctor said, but the baby is healthy."

"Why didn't you tell me?" Bucky said, his facial expression not changing.

"Well, I didn't know you were alive until a month ago, and I didn't know I was pregnant until you left; plus, for the past month, I haven't been able to talk to you." You crossed your arms.

"Oh, well, you have a good point there." He smiled.

"Are you mad at me?" You asked after a minute of silence.

Bucky looked at you with wide eyes. "Never, I'm just confused."

"About what?" Now, you were confused.

"About how you can possibly be in love with someone like me. I have nothing but a metal arm and a dangerous job. I don't know why you trust me enough to help you raise a child: a man like me." Bucky rambled out, faster than you had ever heard him talk before.

Now it was your turn to look at him like he was crazy. "Bucky, I love you, for you! If I didn't love you, would I have tried to get you home to make sure you live to see your child? Would I have done everything to make sure you get home to me as soon as possible?" You started to ask.

Bucky didn't say much, and you grabbed his hands. "I love being married to you; you know that, right?" You asked, and he nodded a little. "As long as you come home at the end of the day, that would be enough."

"I," Bucky started, but stopped himself, unsure of what to say. Then he opened his mouth again. "I don't think I deserve you."

"I want to be a part of your life, I wouldn't want it any other way- and this child," You touched your stomach, "-Will love you just as much. I wouldn't want them to grow up without a father."

Bucky smiled. "Wow, I really don't deserve you, but I couldn't live without you. You're too good for me, doll." He kissed the top of your head.