Death Do Us Part - Bucky Barnes x Reader

Words: 951
Pairing: Bucky Barnes x Reader
Featuring: Steve Rogers, Natasha Romanoff
Warnings: crying, mentions death, knives and guns used (not graphic)
Requested by anon
Summary: You, Steve, and Natasha are tracking down the Winter Soldier. When his mask comes off, you are shocked at who he is and are hurt that he doesn't remember you. You want to see if he can remember you.
Author's Note: This one is one of my favorites! You were taken by HYDRA after Steve went in the ice in an attempt to recreate the serum, and they froze you. So that's the backstory haha.

*Edited*

---

"He's a myth," Natasha told you and Steve.

"How so?" You asked about this Winter Soldier guy. You and Steve were still adjusting to this whole Modern Day thing, even if it had been a few years. It was still difficult. Especially for you, you weren't a total super-soldier.

HYDRA managed to get to you, right as Steve was frozen. They froze you for years, too, experimenting on you to see if they could totally recreate the Captain America serum into another type of human. They didn't fully complete it and made the mistake of letting you out into the public without messing with your brain. You escaped and fell right into Steve's arms the same day that you got out.

You and Steve were both amazed that the other was alive, but it was pretty easy to understand after explaining the situation.

And now, Steve was being targeted by HYDRA, which meant so were you. And they had a secret weapon, this Winter Soldier, character.

Natasha seemed to know about him, at least a little bit. So now you three were up against an assassin that no one had ever been able to beat- what a joy.

---

Days passed, and you were unstable.

You and Steve had both seen The Winter Soldier after his mask was knocked off.

You didn't want to cry over it, but there was no stopping it. Seventy years...and all three of you had managed to survive.

"Bucky?" Steve called out, not looking over at you for your reaction.

"Who the hell is Bucky?" He asked.

"How are you holding up?" Steve asked you as the three of you were hiding out at this Sam guy's house.

"He doesn't...he doesn't remember me. He's my husband, and we both managed to survive. But he doesn't remember me." You couldn't say much else. "I thought he was dead Steve, I didn't think I'd ever see him again...yet, here we all are, and he doesn't remember either of us."

Steve didn't know how to reply. He was feeling horrible, too. His best friend didn't know who he was and was trying to kill the both of you (and Natasha, and Sam...).

A few more hours passed as a plan was being made, which was challenging, to say the least. Bucky wasn't Bucky anymore; he was a HYDRA worker, under their control, not remembering anything of who he really is.

It was decided that once everyone gets some sleep, the plan would happen the next day.

You couldn't sleep, though. You snuck out of the hiding spots and went for a walk. Deep down, this was your way to draw The Winter Soldier out to see if he could remember you, but you wouldn't admit that out loud.

You didn't know what you were going to do, but it was going to happen.

Someone lunged out at you, causing you to jump. There was a gun in their metal arm (that you still couldn't believe that Bucky had), aiming at you.

You stepped back slowly and put your hands up to block. "Bucky..."

He didn't react well to you calling him by his name, and his face got angrier. He started to walk towards you, and you could tell he wasn't going to stop.

"Bucky!" You shouted a bit louder. "Hey, listen to me! I'm married to you; I still wear the ring!" You called, showing your hand. "You can't just forget me!"

He didn't say anything. "My whole mission is to take two people out, one of those being you." He said, his voice deep. You could only notice how much he had changed; his hair: longer. His voice: deeper. His eyes: in more pain. He looked horrible, like everything was going wrong in his world.

As you were looking at him, he knocked you to the ground and pinned you down, trying to pull his knife out.

"I remember the day..." You said. "We were both dressed up. Our parents front row, crying. Steve as your best man, he was small back then."

Bucky looked confused and held the knife above you. You weren't phased by it; you used knives all the time to fight. "We were finally standing at the altar, holding hands, smiling at each other. You had such a nice smile. I miss it."

Bucky was now angrier when you mentioned missing his smile. It seemed as if he hadn't smiled in a long time; you wouldn't be surprised.

"It was right before you and Steve were planning on joining the fight. I didn't want you to go, but I knew it was what you had to do." You were still surprised at how good this was working at stalling: he seemed almost interested in the story.

"You were almost crying, happy that it was finally happening," You said. "Bucky, I'll never stop trying to reach you. Because both of us said, we would be with each other, no matter what, until death do us part." 

Bucky fell off from over top of you. He was shocked by what you said at the end, looked at you dead in the eyes, and raced off. A tear started to form in your eyes, had it worked?

The next thing you heard was running and Steve calling your name.

"Are you okay? What happened?" He was kneeling next to you, checking for any place that you could have been hurt.

"Steve," You stopped him, making him look at you. "I'm perfectly fine. I think I talked to Bucky, the real Bucky, for a few minutes."

Steve's jaw dropped a bit. "Oh my gosh..."

And truth be told, only a few days later, Steve did the same thing.