Better Place - Bruce Banner x Reader

Words: 962
Pairing: Bruce Banner x Reader
Warnings: Swearing, insecurities
Requested by: anon
Summary: Inspired by Better Place by Rachel Platten, you and Bruce have been together for a while. But now, something is off, and you can't figure out what happened.
Author's Note: I do love me some domestic fluff. Pre Infinity War, Bruce isn't missing after AoU

*Edited*

---

You woke up to the sunshine in your eyes, which seemed to happen more and more recently, all by accident. You had been going to sleep at strange times, which caused you to wake up at strange times, which was strange for you.

Before a few weeks ago, you and your boyfriend would go to bed at the same time and talk for anywhere up to an hour and wake up at the same time. He was always the one to shut the curtains before you two went to sleep, and you would be the one to open them when you awoke.

But recently, he hasn't been coming to bed, so he never closed the curtains. You hadn't been able to find him without contacting FRIDAY; he seemed to be avoiding you. You were beginning to get scared of what was going on with him and if you did something wrong.

You took a deep breath and went to walk out of your room. Your routine without Bruce has gotten boring and even sad. You would get breakfast in your pajamas, get dressed and ready for the day, then do your job as the facilities part-time nurse (for those missions that don't end so well) and part-time scientist (how you met Bruce even!).

Bruce wasn't even in the same lab as you anymore. You, Tony, and Bruce used to work in the same place. But one day, Bruce stopped showing up to the lab. That was when you noticed he started to distance himself from you.

Today Tony asked you to take some papers to Cap; he could tell you needed to get some air. Cap was outside running around; Tony wanted you to get the fresh air.

You turned the corner quickly, not really paying attention, and you knocked heads with someone. Both of you ended up on the floor, and the papers dropped everywhere. You looked up quickly to apologize, but once you saw Bruce in front of you, you could not speak.

"Bruce! There you are!" You blurted out, forcing yourself to say something, "I've- I've missed you," You confessed.

Bruce didn't make eye contact, and he didn't say anything either. "Bruce, I have barely seen you this last month; what's going on?" You asked, moving closer towards him. "You hardly come to bed, and I can never find you...please talk to me," You didn't care if you sounded desperate at this point; you were worried about the man you love!

"It doesn't matter," He whispered.

"Do not lie to me, Bruce; you know you can talk to me," You tried to get him to speak.

He was silent. You let him sit in silence for a minute when you realized he wasn't going to talk. "We can sit here all day in silence, or you can tell me why you're avoiding me. You're dating me, for crying out loud, just tell me what I did wrong, and I'll-"

"You didn't do anything wrong," Bruce said but still didn't look at you.

"Then what's wrong?" You were worrying even more; you didn't know what he had going on in his brain.

You two sat in silence for another minute before Bruce opened his mouth again. "I feel like I'm not good enough for you," He sighed, and your eyes widened.

"What?" You were beyond confused with where that came from, "Your touch is sunlight through the trees, your kisses are the ocean breeze, and I love you!" You tried to remind him, but it seemed to go in one ear and out the other.

"You deserve more," Bruce started, "You could get anyone; I'm not good enough," He sighed.

"Bruce, no," You grabbed his hand, rubbing your thumb over his fingers, "And I hold my favorite thing, I hold the love that you bring," You wanted him to listen to you, but it wasn't working. "I love you, and you love me, and I value your love more than anything. You know that, right?"

Bruce shook his head and started to speak again, "You're a good person. You could have anyone; you deserve more than a problematic monster who-"

"Stop," You hated hearing him talk bad about himself. He was a sweetheart and rarely turned into the Hulk anymore (unless needed) because of you two being together. "Before I met you, the world was dark. How do I get you to understand that I love you, and I don't want anyone else?" You started to wonder, "Hell, I'll tell the world, I'll sing a song!" You tried to come up with ideas; maybe the little silliness would get him to smile.

Bruce finally looked up at you. You didn't notice that you had tears going down your cheeks until he wiped them off your face. You were crying because you really did love him, and it upset you that he thought he was so unworthy. Bruce smiled slightly when he took his hand back. "You're sweet," He started, "But are you sure you want to be with a dork like me?"

"One hundred percent sure," You nodded, "You know why?"

"Why?" He asked, starting to gather up the paper you dropped on the floor. 

You smiled, "I pour my heart into your hands; it's like you really understand. You love the way I am," You marveled at him, adoration in your eyes.

"Yes, I do love you, and I like to think I understand you," He laughed a bit.

"We just feel so right," You told him, "I believe that we do deserve each other."

Bruce shook his head with a slight chuckle as he slid over to give you a little hug, and handed you the papers back. "Wow,  it's a better place since you came along."