Too Close To Death - Bucky Barnes x Reader, Avengers & Reader

Words: 1078
Pairing: Bucky Barnes x Reader, Avengers & Reader
Featuring: Steve Rogers, Natasha Romanoff, Sam Wilson, Brock Rumlow, others mentioned
Warnings: swearing, guns, talk of death, fighting
Requested by anon
Summary: As a runaway HYDRA experiment, your death is worth a lot. When you tell your boyfriend you're going on a mission, he gets worried.
Author's Note: this takes place duing the Lagos scene in CACW. Also, it is completely different from the actal storyline. Also yeah I referenced Hamilton once.

*Edited*

---

"I'm going on a dangerous mission soon," You talked over the phone, "So if I don't make it back-"

"Don't talk like that," Bucky cut you off, "You'll be fine, I'm sure of it."

"Babe," You said, making sure not to use Bucky's name to keep him and your relationship a secret, "It's Crossbones; you know how much he wants to eliminate me. I'm not sure if I'll make this out alive."

"You are going to live through this. You're strong inside and outside. Brock Rumlow has nothing against you, and you can take him out easily," Bucky encouraged.

"I love you," You said, tears welling up in your eyes.

"Hey, there's something you have to see," Steve passed through the hallway you were hiding in, catching your attention.

"Gotta go, sorry," You told your boyfriend and pulled the phone away from your face.

"No, wait, hold on!" Bucky shouted, but you stopped the call.

"Shit," Bucky shoved his phone in his pocket and pulled the loose floorboard to grab his emergency bag, getting ready to hop on the first flight to Lagos.

"Who was that?" Steve raised an eyebrow at you as he led you to the room with part of the team in it.

"Nothing important," You lied, your heart aching whenever you had to keep Bucky, Steve's best friend, a secret. But you knew that it would only get Bucky in more trouble if Steve found him.

Steve nodded, and you saw Natasha, Sam, and Wanda sitting in a small room. "Are we ready for this mission?" You asked, taking a seat next to Wanda.

"We have a problem," Natasha announced, pulling a video up to show you.

You recognized the mask of Crossbones, or Brock Rumlow, the man who has been trying to kill you for months. You were powerful, too powerful. A runaway HYDRA experiment that had too much power became a threat, and it was Rumlow's job to take you out. It was definitely easier said than done, though.

Rumlow started the video by saying your name directly into the camera. "I'm ready to face off, are you? Have you said your goodbyes? You will not be coming back from this one; you can't hide for much longer. Good luck, you're going to need it-" blast.

The TV blew up from an energy ball thrown from you, catching everyone's attention. "Let's kick his ass," You stood up and walked out of the room.

---

"Wanda, like we practiced!" Steve shouted, and Wanda flew Captain America through a window.

"Rumlow's in there?" You asked, "You're sure?"

"Almost," Sam replied over the comms, "He could be in a few places, but in here is something special."

You nodded and ran off to find Natasha after she had said she was in a predicament. But you never got there. Someone stopped you, grabbed you, and knocked you over.

You looked up groggily to see Crossbones emerging from the five goons he had around him. "Good to see you again," Rumlow laughed deeply.

"How's your face doing?" You smirked, holding your hand up and forming an energy ball, "I'm sure I could help."

"You helped the last time a building was dropped on my face," Grumbling, Rumlow walked closer to you, grabbing a gun from his goon. "You won't make it out alive."

You started laughing. This might have been the end for you, but you started laughing. You thought of all the things that happened in your life. Everything from HYDRA to running around on the streets to meeting Bucky in Romania to being found by Steve Rogers and joining the Avengers.

"Why the hell are you laughing?" Rumlow looked around at everyone, obviously confused.

You looked around with him and noticed your comm was broken. You couldn't be talked to, but maybe that was the best way to end all of this, not saying a word. Some people crowding around looked scared for you and your life, but some just looked confused at the entire situation.

"You're about to die!" He shouted, aiming the gun at you again, "Why the hell are you laughing?"

"This feeling isn't very new to me," You groaned, shifting to sit up a bit more, "I imagine death so much, it feels more like a memory."

"Oh yeah? You don't think I imagine death?" Rumlow was trying to call your bluff, but it wasn't working.

"I was raised in HYDRA, a place someone was always threatened with death. Then, I was experimented on, easily could have died there. When I escaped, I found someone where I would have been killed on site if I were caught with him. And now, with my job, I can die anytime," You told him, and by now, you were just stalling, "It's not new."

Rumlow shook his head and pulled his mask up, "Shut up," He cocked the gun, realizing this was a dumb thing to waste his time on.

"Go ahead; you'll regret it," You fought, "It'll make everyone just want to kill you more, and in a worse way."

For a second, you thought Rumlow was giving this thought. But he just smirked and pulled the trigger, your eyes snapping shut.

Instead of intense pain and death, you heard the sound of metal clang. You slowly opened your eyes to see a hand next to your shoulder, leading up to a man with long hair standing over you. His arm was bent back to block the bullet, saving you. You only just realized that it was a metal arm, and the man with long hair was your boyfriend.

"Hey, babe," Bucky smirked.

"Y-you're here?" You gasped, quickly standing up and looking at Rumlow.

"I couldn't let you get yourself killed," He told you, cocking a gun of his own.

"Fire!" Rumlow shouted, but you held your hands up to stop all the enemy's guns from working, a new power recently discovered.

"Now, I haven't done this in a while," Bucky started, aiming the gun. "But you tried to kill the person I love multiple times; now it's your turn to go," And before Brock Rumlow could get another word out or Bucky could take a second thought, Bucky pulled the trigger, sending out many bullets.

You turned with a dropped jaw to look at Bucky, "Thank you, but you should really get out of here," You mumbled, kissing his cheek.

"Why?"

"I need to see my team," You confessed, and Bucky quickly understood that he needed to leave but would be back soon.

Steve's voice called you minutes later, "What happened?" He looked at Rumlow's body on the ground; he didn't know what to think of this.

"Steve, we have a lot to talk about."