Cinderblock Garden - Bucky Barnes x Reader

Words: 952
Pairing: Bucky Barnes x Reader
Featuring: Steve Rogers, others mentioned
Warnings: some crying
Requested by @dancingwithabadwolf
Summary: Loosely based on Cinderblock Garden by All Time Low, right after the Civil War between the Avengers, your team is on the run. As you hide from the world while still doing good, you get much closer with your team, including Bucky Barnes. 
Author's Note: I was so excited when I got this request because I love all time low so much! Future Hearts has no skips tbh. Also, I know after CACW Bucky ended up in Wakanda, but we're ignoring that for the sake of this fic lol.

*Edited*

---

You could tell it was hard for Bucky to adjust to having to work with a team. Especially having to fight what was supposed to be the "good guys."

You chose not to sign the Accords as soon as you heard about them. You agreed with Cap and how the Accords weren't the best idea. (Even if it did land you in a secret jail in the middle of the ocean, but Steve did break the team out. You knew you chose the right team.)

It was just a bonus that you and Bucky became friends after the whole fight-breakout-hiding affair. Once team Cap had to hide away from Tony and his team, everyone got a bit closer. Especially you and Bucky; you guys just bonded well. Which might have lead to both of you developing crushes on one another but never really talking about it. There wasn't time for romance in the line of work you're in.

Aside from being a master assassin (like Bucky and Natasha), you could read faces and looks very well. And after hiding out, doing things that the Accords didn't let the 'real team' do, and dodging being caught for a month, Bucky began to act strange.

He wouldn't tell you what was wrong. Whenever you asked him about it, he always replied, "I'm just not feeling well." And had you drop it. Even Steve didn't know what was going on with him, but you were starting to worry.

After a long day, everyone was worn out and tired, you included. Even though you were exhausted, you could tell Bucky was more troubled than before.

But you fell asleep anyway. Only to be woken up a few hours later by something dropping and what looked to be someone running away from the base.

You got up quickly and ran out to find Bucky running away. He looked scared and hurt. So you ran up to him.

"Bucky, what are you doing?" You asked once you caught up with him.

Bucky looked like he hadn't slept in days. "I, I can't do it anymore!"

"Can't do what?" You asked as you grabbed his arm to slow him down. Now the two of you were walking.

"I'm not a hero. And I never will be. I was made to hurt people, not save them. I finally got rid of my harmful ways and got into a good spot, and now I'm back to killing!" He said, choking it out. Like he was almost going to cry.

"Bucky, you aren't killing innocent people, though." You tried to comfort him.

"But I'm still killing."

"Well, so am I." Your hand was now on his shoulder. "Are you really going to run away from all of this? A good life, where you help people?"

Bucky shrugged, not sure what to say. So you took this as your chance to talk again. "I know it gets hard for you to stay, but do you really wanna throw it all away?"

"I don't know!" He gasped, a few tears falling down his cheeks. You hadn't seen him cry before; he looked almost like a real person.

"Bucky, you aren't bad. Trust me." You comforted him. "But I don't want you to leave us...you can't just throw away all your work to be good."

Bucky sat down on the ground, and you sat next to him. "I'm a horrible person...I hurt and killed so many. I am someone people fear. I could never be a hero." He mumbled, pulling at his hair. You hated hearing him beat himself up over something that happened in the past.

"Bucky..." You grabbed his hands. "Look at me." He was hesitant to, but after a few moments, he did look up at you. Puffy, red eyes and tear stained cheeks; you hated seeing him like this.

You gave him a small, reassuring smile. "Tonight, take all the ghosts and all those skeletons you hide, bury them deep beneath the ground." You told him, and he sniffled a bit, beginning to smile at you.

"And let them rest cause you weren't meant to bear that burden." You finished telling him, and Bucky pulled you in for a hug. "You are so sweet, Bucky; I don't know why anyone would want to make you do that stuff; it wasn't you."

"I don't know what I would do without you." He said, and you felt a few years go onto your shoulder.

"Are you crying again?" You asked carefully.

"Only because you made me remember why I'm still here..." He whispered and released the hug, but your hands were still together.

"I've been thinking." He admitted.

"Yeah?"

"It took me a while to decide if I should leave or not...and you and Steve were the only reasons I probably would have stayed, so I went against that side. But now, hearing what you've said to me and how great you are, I realize that I do need to stay." He told you. "Thank you."

What you didn't expect was for Bucky to put his hand behind your neck and pull you in, softly, for a kiss. It wasn't a desperate kiss, or some sloppy kiss; it was soft and sweet.

"I'm thinking that we could make forever after all." He whispered, and you had to think about what he said to really understand it.

And once you did understand it, you replied with a small smile."I made the mistake of never confronting how I felt... But after tonight, I think it's too much to keep inside." He nervously chuckled."

You nodded at him. "You're staying with us, right?"

"Yes."

"Then I'm also thinking that we could make forever after all."