twenty nine

Christina's pov:

"i found mattia overdosed on the floor. i took him to the hospital yesterday around 3 pm and he has been there ever since" i read the message out loud to myself as my eyes began to fill with tears.

oh my god. mattia overdosed. i needed to get to the hospital as soon as possible.

i ordered an uber and began to get my shoes on. tears were apparent in my eyes and they hadn't planned to leave anytime soon. i quickly grabbed my keys, phone, and wallet. i reached out to open the door to my apartment when i realized my hands were dripping in sweat and violently shaking. part of me felt like this was my fault.

i got in the uber and tried, with everything i had in me, not to cry. i saw the driver look into the rear view mirror, making eye contact with me. her eyes, filled with sympathy, starred into mine.

"what's wrong sweetheart?" my uber driver asked with pure concern.

she had noticed i was beginning to cry and thought asking me about it would make it better. fuck no. the second that her sentence ended, i broke down and salt water began pouring from my eyes. i couldn't speak, see, or even think at this point.

the rest of the ride consisted of me crying my eyes out while my uber driver played beethoven. we arrived at the hospital and before i could get out of the car, my uber driver spoke up once more.

"i don't know what you're going through, but things will get better. have a good rest of your day" my driver said with a grin.

i nodded and got out of the car. i walked to the front desk of the hospital and tried to get my tears to subside before the nurse noticed me. i wiped my puffy eyes and looked up to the lady behind the desk.

"is there a mattia polibio in here somewhere?" i asked while trying to speak clearly through the tears.

"yes. your name?" the nurse asked me.

"christina" i said barely able to get the word out.

she entered my name into the computer and stood up from her chair. she led me to a room and assured me i could enter whenever i was ready. i waited a while before deciding to walk in. i got closer to the door and turned the knob.

~