forty three

Christina's pov:

i got off of work and texted my dad.

"i'm off. where do you want to eat?" the message spelled out.

as i waited for a response i remembered the note that mattia had said was on my door. maybe once he responded with where we were going to eat, i could figure out a way to swing by my place and read the note before going.

ding

"wherever you want. pizza?" my dads text said.

"pizza sounds perfect" i typed out and pressed send.

that was the truth. pizza did sound really good. i kinda wanted it earlier during lunch but that chipotle hit different i don't know why.

maybe it was because i was eating it with a happy mattia. seeing mattia happy like that made my heart flutter. and those new shoes. sheesh. they were sick i really liked them. and he seemed like he liked them too which made me love them even more.

my dad and i ended up decided to go to a pizza place not far from the mall. that meant i had no time to go back to the house and read the letter. damn it.

"i'll get cheese and pepperoni on mine please" i spoke out loud to the worker.

we got our food and sat down at an empty table. we began eating in awkward silence. i hated the weird vibe that was in the air. i couldn't take it anymore.

"so how have you been since the whole mom thing?" i asked with genuine curiosity.

"pretty good. definitely better" he said and started right back up eating.

okay so he wasn't going return the question and ask me how i've been doing since the whole mom thing? you know what. i'm going to sit back and enjoy my fucking pizza. i'm not going to worry about making conversation because he was the one that wanted to talk. i ain't forget don.

a few minutes later, after my mind drifted from making conversation to eating my pizza, my dad spoke up.

"your mom-" he starts but i cut him off.

"your wife" i remind him that i don't really think of her as a mom.

"right. i want to get a divorce but your m-" he caught himself "my wife, doesn't want to sign the papers. since you've left, she hasn't had anyone to torture or torment. so it's been me. i filed for divorce but she physically will not sign. if i report her for domestic violence or child abuse, she'll just go to jail. the divorce won't be complete" he explains to me.

wow i had no idea that she was taking everything out on him since i left. it's been months. he's been going through that with his own wife for months and hasn't been able to get the divorce approved. why did he want to tell me this? was there a way i could help him that i didn't know about?

"how can i help?" i asked him with remorse clear in my tone.

"i've been living in a hotel for a few days now but she keeps going there to terrorize me" he said.

"do you need a place to stay?" i questioned with almost instant regret seeming as i had to take care of mattia.

"no i'll have to move back in with her. i don't have enough money to stay anywhere else and i wouldn't want to do that to you" he spoke quietly.

we continued to discuss everything. his life since i left, my life since i left, mattia, how i've been taking care of him due to a recent overdose and almost anything else we were able to make conversation out of.

~