forty two

Christina's pov:

mattia and i finished having lunch and i have to go back to work. i walk in and the store is packed. it's going to be a long day i can already tell.

i have never worked outside of the back room. all i did was fold and put tags on the clothes. except today was busy. i wasn't sure why but it sure as hell was. my manager on duty called me out and told me i was going to bag items since i didn't know how to work the cash register yet.

"here you go" my manager said to me, handing me bags to put the items in.

i began working bagging items after my coworker would scan them. this was so much more fun than working in the back.

everyday i would get a 40 minute lunch break and a ten minute 'off work' break. i always called or texted mattia during my 'off work' break and it was always the same time everyday. although today it was so busy that they told us we weren't getting our 'off work' break but instead we would get off twenty minutes early. i was okay with it but mattia was expecting my call.

once my workload mellowed out a little bit i was able to go back into my little folding room. i pulled out my phone and saw a missed call from mattia and a few texts messages.

"hey you never called. is everything okay?" "did you take your off work break yet?" "just call me when you get the chance" "text me back let me know you're okay" all the text messages read.

i felt awful he was worrying about me. i put in my earbuds and called him. he answered almost immediately and i could tell by the sound of his voice he was concerned.

"hey why didn't you call me at the normal time?" he asked me.

"work got really out of hand and they needed me to work in the front for a while" i explained, continuing to fold and tag the clothes.

"oh okay. well just thought i'd let you know i'm home now and that there's a note taped to your door" mattia spoke.

a note on my door? um okay. i wonder who it was from or what it was. i guess i would just have to find out when i got home.

"okay thanks handsome i'll see you later tonight" i smiled to myself.

"okay get home safe ma" mattia ended the call.

~