eighty five

Mattia's pov:

"okay easy easy" i told don.

we arrived to the complex and got out of the uber. don stay holding the side of his stomach so i, of course, went around and helped chris's dad get out of the car.

"thanks son" he faintly smiled at me and gripped his side a bit more firmly.

i led him inside and asked him if he was hungry. he said yes so i began looking through the pantry to see what i had.

"any requests?" i asked don as i watched him sit down on the couch.

"hm maybe spaghetti" he requested.

fuck that. i couldn't cook spaghetti. i couldn't cook it without chris. and if i tried, i would probably break down and cry.

"anything else? literally anything...?" i looked over at him.

he could see it in my eyes that something was wrong. i knew he could tell.

"whatever is easy son" he shut his eyes and laid back into the couch.

i smiled to myself and let my mind drift off. i wondered what would've happened if i had just given up the money. then again, i didn't have money to give up. but if i did... they probably would've done the same thing.

maybe i should still get her that bracelet. i mean, i knew her eighteenth birthday was coming up soon. just a bit after mine. maybe i could just get a temporary job, buy it for her, and save it.

i thought about it a little bit more as i shoved the bowl of ramen and water into the microwave. yes, this was definitely what i was going to do. i figured it didn't matter if she wasn't physically here to accept or wear it. it mattered that i did something for someone that i cared about and loved. it mattered the thought and the perseverance.

"dinner is served" i chuckled as i set the bowl of ramen on the coffee table in front of don.

don didn't open his eyes. he stayed laid back on the couch. i put my hand gently on his leg and shook it a bit, motioning for him to wake up and eat the food i prepared.

"don?" i spoke.

he didn't answer.

"don?" i asked again.

i shoved his leg once again to see if he would wake up. his eyes never opened, and his head fell, limp, onto his shoulders.

~