thirty six

Christina's pov:

i went to work, normal day. i went home to take care of mattia, per usual. as i was going to leave his apartment, my phone began to ring.

"who is it?" mattia asked.

"random number" i said with no emotion as it didn't bother me anymore.

i gave him a tight hug and left his apartment. i got into my place and barely got to close the door before my phone began ringing again. it was the same number. maybe it was my dad trying to get ahold of me to see if i got the check. should i answer it? eh fuck it.

"hello" i said, putting the phone to my ear, slightly annoyed.

"christina! oh my god i didn't think i would ever be able to get ahold of you" a male voice said.

i instantly knew it was my dad. i knew his voice. and no one else that i know except my parents call me christina. that's why i prefer going by chris.

"i'm sorry who is this?" i asked, this time audibly annoyed at this point.

"oh i'm so sorry. it's your dad, don?" he said with concern that i wouldn't remember him.

"i remember dad" i said, monotoned.

i didn't want to talk to him for too long as i was tired and annoyed. but i did want to know why he sent me that money. so i told myself that i would live and proceeded the conversation, getting straight to the point.

"why did you send me money?" i asked, in need of an explanation.

"your mom and i got into a pretty heated argument. i got out of the house before she could do any physical damage to me again. i began to understand how you felt. i'm so so sorry we put you through that like every day" he spoke with remorse.

"oh. dad i'm so sorry. i'm glad you got out in time. what were you guys arguing about?" i said, curiously.

as much as i didn't want to give him the benefit of the doubt, i did. he understood my pain. he was living my pain. i started to believe that he was truly sorry and that he genuinely wanted to get on good terms with me again. like i said he was never the source of the problem but he never tried to stop her from abusing me. i didn't really know what to think. but i did feel bad for him and his current situation to be honest.

"we were arguing about money. she refused to pay her bills. taxes included. i told her that she needed to and she disagreed" he said, his voice trailing off.

i understood where he was coming from. she needed to pay her bills. that's it, end of story. but of course, she could never let him be right.

"well if it makes you feel better, i'm on your side of that argument" i stated, slightly chuckling.

my mom was a batshit crazy psychopath. i felt bad for the guy. damn. maybe i should try to make amends with him.

~