Chapter fifty four: Inducing labour

May 1st 2001

Today is the day Jen hopefully goes into labour, according to her doctor. For the past few days she has been using her yoga ball religiously and she's decided that it's something they are definitely bringing to the hospital with them. It's done wonders for her back pain that has only gotten worse over the last two weeks.

Jen is sitting in the living room bouncing on the ball as she's throwing toys for Norman to go and get... a game they've been playing for the past thirty minutes. Brad is upstairs putting the freshly washed sheets onto the girls' cribs and he's setting their mobiles up that go above their cribs.

Jen is feeling nothing... nothing that makes her think labour is going to start anytime soon. It's early in the afternoon and she's decided to order some Indian food for lunch, again this is something that is meant to induce labour... spicy food.

Brad has taken photos of the nursery that is now complete so he can show them to Jen which saves her having to walk up the stairs unnecessarily. He walks into the living room where Jen is moving her hips in circles as she's still sitting on her yoga ball.

"I've got some pictures of the nursery to show you babe" Brad hands her the camera

"Wow... it's amazing baby. Thank you so much for doing it" Jen gasps when she sees the pictures with a smile plastered on her face

"I've just ordered some Indian food for lunch. I want to try eating spicy foods and if that doesn't work then we can maybe try the sex thing later?"

"We can try whatever you want baby. As long as you feel comfortable enough to have sex though. Don't do it just for me baby"

"I do feel comfortable enough babe. I really want these babies out, the doctor recommended it so it's definitely something we need to do... also I want you... all of you baby"

Shortly after the buzzer rings and their food has arrived. Jen ordered a Chicken Jalfrezi curry which is one of the spiciest ones, some onion Bajis, a side of fries and some popadoms.

Brad takes the food into the kitchen and dishes it out and calls Jen when it's ready. She waddles into the kitchen and sits down opposite brad and they tuck into their food.

(Jen's P.O.V)

I'm eating my curry and it's so spicy. I'll be surprised if nothing happens after eating this. Brad also has the same curry as me. He can tell I'm struggling with the hotness of the food so he gets up to get me a glass of milk which will help cool my mouth.

"If it's too spicy baby you don't have to eat it" Brad says as I place my knife and fork down and wipe the sweat from my forehead

"Thank god. I don't think I can eat anymore"

I finish eating the fries and then take my plate and scrape the left over food into the bin before placing the plate into the dishwasher.

As Brad finishes his food I go back to sit on my yoga ball. I'll literally try anything to get these babies to come.

"Can we go for a walk along the beach babe? Walking is good to induce labour too" I ask Brad as he's walking towards me

"Only if you feel up for it. We can take Norm too"

I slip on my flip flops, get Normans lead from the coat closet and we head out. We take a nice slow stroll to the beach and I take my flip flops off when we get to the sand. We step onto the nice warm sand and head down to the water front where we let the waves splash at our feet which is cooling me right down. Brad throws sticks for Norm and he runs up and down the beach chasing them. Brad and I have our fingers interlocked and my mind starts to wander. I'm thinking about how this could be our last time on the beach as a family of three... just me, Brad and Norm. I stop to take in the beautiful scenery and to smell the fresh ocean air.