Chapter seventy two: Life with three children👧🏼👧🏼👶🏻

November 29th 2002

(Brad's P.O.V)

River is now almost 24 hours old. I've been awake most of the night, I just can't stop staring at him. He had Jen up a few times during the night for a feed but at the moment, he is sleeping a lot better than the girls did at his age which I know Jen is thankful for.

I took a photo of Jen holding River last night and she doesn't know about it so next week, I'm going to get it blown up so we can put it on our family picture wall... it's one of the most beautiful pictures I've ever seen.

Jen is absolutely exhausted so apart from waking up to feed him, she slept while I did the diaper changes

Jen is absolutely exhausted so apart from waking up to feed him, she slept while I did the diaper changes. Not long after he was born, he had a huge diaper poop blowout and I offered to do it as Jen was still quite sore but she insisted that she wanted to change his first ever diaper... she is such an amazing mom and I wouldn't want anyone else to be the mother of my children.

Jen struggled a lot with her emotions yesterday which is understandable since her hormones are everywhere and as much as we wanted to see the girls yesterday, we both decided it was best for them to just see us today as Jen didn't want them to see her crying... even though she's still in some pain and discomfort, she always puts the girls before herself and that's one of the reasons I love her so much.

River is starting to stir in his bassinet next to Jens bed so I quickly pick him up and lay him on my chest, skin to skin not wanting him to wake her up unnecessarily. I want Jen to be able to get as much sleep as she can before we go home because it'll be a lot harder for her but I will try my absolute hardest to make sure I take care of River and the girls so she can at least nap during the day time.

I've managed to rock River back to sleep and his little chest is rising and falling as he breathes in and out. There's no better feeling than doing skin to skin with your newborn baby. I did it with the girls and it was the best feeling ever and I want to try and do it as much as I possibly can with our little River.

"Morning" I hear a soft voice coming from Jen who is slowly waking up

"Morning beautiful. How did you sleep?" I ask, standing up, walking over and giving her a kiss

"For a first night with a newborn, I actually slept pretty well. What about you?" She asks as she yawns and puts her arms out for me to hand her River

"I actually didn't sleep much at all. I couldn't stop staring at you and him"

"Awh baby, that's so sweet. Now that I'm up, why don't you try and get a little bit of sleep?"

"I'm okay baby, I really am"

"Please get some sleep Brad, we are going to be so exhausted when we go home and we have three children to look after" With her persuading, I finally give in and take a little nap

(Jen's P.O.V)

I feel sorry for Brad, I've had a really comfortable bed to sleep in all night and now he's sleeping on a hard leather chair. I offered him to sleep in my hospital bed but he insisted he was fine on the chair.