Chapter 101: Two of each

"Let's weigh this little guy then shall we" The nurse takes Emery from Jen, takes his diaper off and places him on the scales

"This little one weighs 4lbs 3oz. Jennifer, since he is so small we are going to have to place a feeding tube in through his nose and down to his stomach to ensure he gains the weight he needs to. Now, this won't impact on your wishes to breastfeed, it just means that he will be having extra nutrition on top of your milk"

"My- my baby will need a feeding tube?" Jen starts to get teary eyed and Brad squeezes her hand for comfort

"He's going to be fine baby. This is going to help him" Brad reassures Jen

"Hopefully it'll only be short term but it's vital for him to gain the weight he needs. Are you okay with that?"

"Of course, please just do what you need to to help him. I have one question... will it hurt him?"

"It won't hurt him at all. He might gag and vomit a little but, but that's only the tube going down his throat"

The nurse comes back with everything she needs.

"Jennifer, I'm going to lay him on his back. If you hold his arms for me that would be great. I'm just lubricating the tube"

Jen holds onto Emery's arms and the nurse starts inserting the tube. Like suspected, he does gag a few times but he was so brave through it all.

"All done little man, good boy Emery" The nurse checks the tube is in the correct place and when she sees that it is, she starts him on some feed

<><><><><>

(Brad's P.O.V)

Seen as Emery is very small, he has been placed in the NICU for further observation and so the nurses can monitor how he's doing on his NG tube. Jen was almost inconsolable when he was taken away but now she has calmed down a bit and she's taking a well deserved nap.

The doctor has said that Jen can go home today but Emery will have to stay until he's gained enough weight. She told me when Jen was sleeping, so I'm going to have to break the news to her when she wakes up.

"Mmm" I hear her stirring

"Hey baby. Did you have a good nap?"

"It was okay, I dreamt about Emery. Do you think we can go and see him soon?"

"I'm sure we can gorgeous. Um Jen..." I paused for a bit before continuing

"... the doctor said that you can go home today but-"

"Emery has to stay here right?" I can see tears filling up in her eyes as she knew what I was about to tell her

"He does, but it's to monitor his weight gain. This is the best place for him"

"I don't want to go home without my baby. What are we going to tell the girls when we go home without a baby in our arms?"

"I know you don't want to go home without him, I don't either but sweetie, he needs to be here. We will just tell them the doctors are watching him for a little bit and that we will take them to see him soon"

<><><><><>

(Jen's P.O.V)

"MOMMY!" The girls come running up to me as soon as we walk into the house

"Hi babies. Mommy's missed you"

"Where baby mommy?" I look to Brad, letting him know that he has to tell them otherwise I'd start to cry

"Baby has to stay in the hospital for a little bit. He's a little bit small so the doctors are helping him to get bigger"

"Mommy, daddy, I got boy or giwl?"

"The new baby is a boy sweetheart. You've got another baby brother"

"Wat him name mommy?"

"His name is Emery and he loves you so much"

"I wove him too. Go see him?"

"We will all go and see him tomorrow, I'm sure he would love it"

"Hey sweetie" Drea comes up to me and wraps me in a hug

"Thank you so much for looking after them"

"You're very welcome honey. River's sleeping right now, he's been such a busy boy today. How's Emery?"

"He's absolutely perfect. He's doing so well but they just need to get his weight up"

"He'll be home before you know it and you'll have all four of your babies here"

<><><><><>

Jen and brad are laying in bed. Jen has just got off the phone to the hospital and they've had an update that Emery has already gained 2oz which is fantastic.

"See baby, he's already making progress"

"I'm so proud of him I just can't wait to get him home now"

"I can't either babe. I can't believe we've got two of each. Two beautiful girls and two handsome boys" Brad says as he pulls Jen closer to him and she rests her head on his chest

"We are so lucky to have the most amazing children. Never in a million years did I think I would be so lucky, and I have you to thank for that"

"We are extremely lucky. I have you to thank, you did all the hard work babe and all I had to do was have sex" They both chuckle

"Mmm, and about that... we are using protection religiously from now on and I might go back on the coil... I'm not ready for any more babies any time soon"

"Even when we are drunk, we will use protection. Even though I want a big family, you need a pregnancy break"

"I'm not saying Emery will be our last one but he's our last one for a LONGGGGG time"

Brad turns the lights off and they both snuggle up to each other, looking forward to seeing Emery tomorrow with the girls and River.