Chapter seventy nine: Milestones for River

(Jen's P.O.V)

Brad and I have been attending appointments after appointments with River to see his paediatrician. She is saying that he's developing really well now and he's only a few months behind where he should be. He's progressed so much, and I'm so proud of my baby boy for continuing to blossom into the wonderful little boy he's becoming.

River is now 10 months old and Brad and I really think that soon, he'll start crawling. It is hard having a child that relies on you for everything, especially since he is 10 months and he's not crawling yet, so he needs to be carried everywhere but obviously none of us would change him for the world. He's our little boy and we will love him no matter what.

<><><><><>

We are all sitting around the dining table eating breakfast. Brad, myself and the girls have scrambled eggs with bagels and River is breastfeeding.

"Brad, I really feel like we should start trying to wean him onto solid foods now?"

"I've been thinking about that too. I think he has enough teeth now so he won't keep choking like the last time we tried"

"That's exactly my thoughts too. Also, I want him to be able to eat some of his birthday cake on his birthday"

"You stay here and finish your eggs and I'll go and make some baby porridge for him"

"Thank you baby"

"Pollyanna, what are you doing?" I ask as she's just playing with her plate full of food

"I not hugwy mama"

"Now I don't believe that. Come on, eat your food please"

"But mama-"

"Pollyanna-Grace. You're not wasting food"

"My bewy hurts" I sigh as she's been doing this a lot lately

"Have a nice drink of your water and then eat some more okay?"

"Okay mama"

Meanwhile Ophelia has polished off her food and she is now licking the plate clean... I don't have the energy to tell her to stop, so I just let her carry on.

"His porridge is ready Jen"

I sit River in his high chair and pull it close to my seat. Brad places a bib around his neck and when he sees the bowl of food coming towards him, he starts flapping his arms in excitement.

"Ooooo this looks very yummy mister River" I say as I take a small amount onto the baby spoon

I put the spoon of porridge in my mouth first, just to make sure it's the perfect temperature for him and then I lift the spoon to his mouth and he opens up to let it in. At first he has a weird look on his face, trying to adjust to the new tastes and textures but he soon swallows and opens his mouth for more.

"Take a picture of this Brad. I want to put it in his baby book"

Brad takes a photo of me feeding him his first proper breakfast. Within minutes, the whole bowl of porridge is empty, indicating that our baby really enjoyed his breakfast.

<><><><><>

"Come on baby, you can do it" Jen says as she's sitting on the floor, waving her arms at River who is sitting in front of Brad 

"Crawl to mama baby, come on" She's trying to coax River by shaking one of his favourite toys

Brad lifts him up and places him on his hands and knees in the hopes that doing that, will encourage him to start moving. Brad moves fro, behind him and goes to kneel next to Jen and now bath of them are waving their arms, encouraging River to crawl to them.