Chapter eighty six: IT'S CHRISTMAS!

December 25th 2003

It's Christmas morning and Jen and Brad have been awake since 6am, both of them like little children too excited to sleep. It's now 8am and they have been waiting for the kids to wake up for two hours and the one day they actually want them to wake up early, they decide they are going to sleep in.

"Merry Christmas baby" Brad says as he pulls Jen in closer to him

"I can't believe they are still asleep"

"I know, I can't believe it either. The days we want them to sleep in they are wide awake at 5am and the day we want them to be awake, they're not"

"Well then, if they are still asleep... why don't I give you one of your Christmas presents now?" Brad winks at her and she knows what he means. He crawls on top of her and starts to kiss her neck. Right on cue, they hear River mumbling to himself on the baby monitor

"I guess it'll have to wait until later, come on babe, let's go and get him"

They get up from bed and make their way to their sons bedroom. When they walk in, they see him 'talking' to his stuffed Elephant in his crib.

"Merry Christmas handsome boy" They both say as Brad picks him up out of his crib

"Maaaaaaaaaa maaaaaaaaa"

Jen and Brad are stunned. River has never spoken before and he's just said his first 'words'.

"Did he just say-?" Jen says as she covers her mouth, shocked to what she's just heard

"I think he tried to say mama"

"That's right baby, I'm mama. Good boy sweetheart"

Jen now has tears in her eyes as River's first words were 'mama'. She takes him from Brad and cradles him so close to her. Brad is looking at them both so lovingly and he wraps his arms around both of them, giving kisses to Jen and River's heads.

"Let's go and see if your sisters are awake shall we..."

They make their way across and down the hall to Pollyanna and Ophelia's room. They quietly open the door to find both girls still sleeping. They decide to wake them up anyway, so Jen puts River down on the floor and she goes to Ophelia whilst Brad goes over to Pollyanna.

"Wakey wakey babies" They both whisper as they gently rub the girls' stomachs

"Mama" Ophelia opens up her eyes and wraps her arms around Jens neck

"It's mama baby, it's Christmas morning. Merry Christmas princess"

"Sata beem?" She wakes up more and sits up in bed

"I think we'll have to go downstairs and see won't we"

Ophelia climbs out of bed with her blankie in hand whilst Brad picks Pollyanna up who is definitely not a morning person... just like her mother.

"Polly... baby, it's Christmas" Brad whispers and rubs her back

"Chwistmas?" She replies so sleepily