Chapter 38

Courtney

I turned to James who was standing close by me. "What was that?" James stared at me, then shrugged.

"I don't know. Just leave him alone." James demanded. I nodded shyly.

"Okay." I whispered. James and I skated over by our goal. "But, what boyfriend is he talkin' about? I don't have a boyfriend." I said, thinking to myself.

"Have you been hanging out with anybody that's a boy a lot lately?" James asked. I shook my head.

"No. It's only been Adam." I stated.

"Okay, just, don't think about it for now."

__________________________

All the teams were out. The ice rink was cold, foggy, and dark. The only thing the rink wasn't was quiet. Everyone was talking about a game plan. I skated over to Charlie.

"Is this aloud?" I asked. Charlie shot me a confused look.

"Is what aloud?" He asked. I looked around.

"All this. Playin' a game without a coach."

"Oh. No it's not, but Coach won't figure out." Charlie replied. I nodded.

"Hey! You newbies ready?" I heard one of the Varsity players yell. We looked over and saw the Variety team skating over to us.

"Let's play." Charlie snapped.

"Okay." The Varsity player, Tex, sighed. We all skated to our positions. Me, center ice. Brendan come over to center ice too. He did his evilish smirk at me.

"Good luck." We both bent over.

"Right back at cha." I stated.

"Fine. Body check on three." Brendan demanded. We tapped each other with the sticks, then we fought for the puck. Ice was flying everywhere to where I really couldn't see the puck that good.

I finally got it and passed it to Connie. Connie started to rush down the ice with the whole team behind her. I was right beside Adam to block him. I saw Adam look at me.

"Why the Ducks?" He asked sharply. I didn't look at him.

"Because they're my family." I replied. I looked at him. "And you left the family." I saw everyone start to rush down the ice I started to skate backwards. Charlie had the puck in his stick. He passed it to me. I got it and turned around. I started to sprint down the ice.

I felt someone hook their stick around my legs. I tripped and fell on my stomach, hitting my nose on the cold, hard ice.

"Courtney!" I heard someone scream. I lifted my upper body with my elbows and looked down on the ice. Blood. There's a puddle of blood on the ice. I felt two people lift me up from the ice to my feet. I saw Charlie and James standing in front of me. They were staring at my nose.

"You okay, Courtney?" James asked in a worry. I nodded.

"I'm fine." I replied quickly.

"You sure, because you broke your nose."