Chapter 116

Courtney

I stopped skating and breathing. I was waiting. The buzzer went off.

Charlie scored!

We won!

I screamed and threw my hands in the air. I skated over to Charlie and jumped on top of him.

"Charlie! We won!" I screamed. He started to laugh. I felt everyone start to jump on us. We all started to scream.

"Guys!!" I heard Connie yell. We all looked at her. She was looking us at something. We all looked up. All of a sudden, a huge banner came rolling down from the ceiling. I smiled.

"The Minnesota Ducks!" We all yelled, reading what the banner said.

"Come on guys! We did this for Hans, so let's do this!" I yelled. I skated to the middle circle and started to skate in a circle, skidding my left hand on the ice.

Everyone started to do the same thing. I smiled. I looked over and saw Varsity staring at us. But we kept on going. After about a minute of that, we all skated back to the bench to Coach. Coach smiled.

"You guys are amazin'."

_______________________

I was in the dorm. Matt was going to pick me up for dinner. I was staring at my ring. I closed my eyes. I have made up my mind of what I want to do. I heard a knock at the door. I sighed and got up. I walked slowly to the door and opened it. I saw Matt standing there smiling at me.

"Hey Courtney. Are you ready?" Matt asked. I swallowed hard.

"Matt, I have to tell you... Somethin'." I said.

"Can you tell me in the car because we are late for the reservation." He asked, grabbing my hand. I pulled back.

"Matt. I can't go with you to dinner." I said. He turned around and stared at me confused.

"What?" He asked. I sighed.

"Matt. I can't do this. I think.. I think we should be seein' other people." I stated.

"What..." Matt asked. I took off my ring and handed it to him, he grabbed it softly.

"I'm not ready for this, Matt. To have a future with you. I want to just be friends with you.  You're a nice guy, I'm just not in love with you, I'm so sorry." I started to tear up. He swallowed hard. He gave me the ring back.

"Keep the ring. But I do understand." He sighed. He leaned in and kissed me on the cheek. I closed my eyes. He leaned away from me and I opened my eyes. "Thanks for telling me." I nodded shyly. He smiled, nodded, and walked away. I closed the door and leaned my aback against the door.