Chapter 56

Adam

"What?" I asked while I still had my jaw dropped.

What the hell is going on?

"Yep, this is Matt Shift. One of the greatest hockey players of all of the college teams. Oh, Brendan!" Coach called. Brendan came skating up to the little group.

"Yeah Coach?" Brendan asked while he was short of breath.

"You're not team captain anymore." Coach stated. Brendan shot his head up.

"What?" Brendan asked.

"Sorry, for now on, Matt is captain!" Coach announced. I know he was waiting for us to cheer, but no one did. I rolled my eyes. "Okay Matt, you can go out now." Matt started to skate off.

"Later losers." Brendan went to go after him, but I grabbed his arm to stop him. He looked at me. I shook my head.

"Banks, you have to leave in three days." Mr. Stafford demands.

"I'm leaving the whole college?!" I ask with anger in my voice.

"Yes, we don't need you anymore, Adam. I'm sorry." Coach cuts in. I rolled my eyes.

"Sure you are. If you were really sorry, you would at least try to have me stay on this team." Complete silence. They just stared at me.

"Goodbye Banks." Coach said. I sighed in frustration, then skated off.

_________________________

The next day wasn't fun either. It was lunch. I was in the lunch line getting lunch. As I moved down the line, I kept an eye out for the Ducks.

"Hey Banks!" I heard someone call out. I turned around and saw Tex coming up to me with a lunch trey. We started to move down. "Heard you got kicked out of the college."

"Well, that's true." I replied. I sighed. "I don't understand why. Why they would offer me a scholarship for the team then just, kick me out. I did nothing wrong." I got to the front of the line and got my wallet out.

"Yeah, heard they got a replacement too." Tex implied. I got out a $20 and handed it to the lady.

"I'm paying for him too." I said to her. She nodded and we left to find a table. "Yeah, it's the stupid Matt Shift. Can't believe they replaced me."

"He's also good with the ladies. He's talking to one now." Tex said. I looked over and saw him sitting with the Ducks, arm around Courtney. I stopped walking at stared at them. Tex kept walking, then stopped when he saw that I was stopped. He turned around and faced me. "What's wrong Banks?"

"He's with the girl I'm in love with."