Chapter 23

Courtney

Charlie and I started to walk to his car. He opened the door for me and I climbed in to the passenger seat of his old 1966 Mustang. Then, he walked around the front of the car and climbed into the drivers seat. He started the car and we drove off. "Thanks for talking to Catie for me." Charlie said.

"You're welcome, Charlie. I know you like her so I thought I would talk to her." I said. He nodded.

"Yeah. Hey, uh, do you still like Adam?" He asked. I shrugged and looked forward.

"I don't know yet. I need to think about it," I said. I turned to him. "You know?" Charlie looked at me and nodded, then look back.

"Crap!" He yelled. I looked back forward and saw a car running a red light. He put his arm over me and slammed on his break. Closed my eyes and all of a sudden, got a flashback of the crash I was in when I was five. When Mom crashed into the tree with my little sister and me in the car, killing them, and not me. I opened my eyes and the car was the a complete stop, also the car in front of us. But no contact.

"Oh, he's damn lucky he didn't hit the car." Charlie snapped as he started to climb out. I got out to and started to follow Charlie. The man in the other car got out.

"What the hell was that! You almost crashed into me!" The man yelled at us as he started to look at his car to see if there is any damages.

"Us?! Crashin' into you?! You ran that red light for crying out loud!" I yelled.

"I didn't see any red light." The man said. He crossed his arms over his chest. I heard police sirens and another car pulled up to us. He got out and walked over to us.

"Hi my name is Michael King and I witnessed the accident, so I'll help you guys." He said. Charlie and I nodded.

"Thank you." Charlie said, shaking hands. The police officer came out and walked to us.

"Okay, what's going on?" The police officer asked.

"These damn kids almost killed me!" The man yelled. Mr. King walked to up the police man and shook his hand.

"Hi, I'm Michael King and I did witness the accident." King said. "I was right behind this young couple in the car and this man ran the red light almost crashing into them." King stated.

"Is that right?" The police officer asked. Charlie and I nodded.

"Yes sir." We said in harmony.

"Okay, let's make this short and clean," he said. "I'll give you one thousand dollar ticket for running a red light and also endangering the life's of young kids. Understand?" The police officer said. We all nodded. He looked at us.

"You guys can leave. Thank you." He said. We nodded and walked to Michael.

"Thank you so much." We said to him. He smiled.

"Don't worry, I'm a lawyer, I know what I was doing." He said, then walked away. Charlie and I walked to the car and climbed in.