Chapter 99

Courtney

"Faster! Come on guys!" Coach complained. I started to sprint faster on the ice. Tomorrow, we play the Varsity team. "Okay team, stop!" Coach yelled over our skating. We slid to a stop. "Bring it in!" Coach yelled.

We all skated to him and kneeled down. "Alright. You guys are doing great. Thirty more minutes left then we are done with practice, and the game is tomorrow. But, I want to announce something. I figured out who I want to be team captain!"

We all looked around, whispering on who it's going to be. "And the new captain is... James!" Coach yelled. We all looked at James. He stared at Coach.

"Coach..." James said with shock. He looked at me, then back at Coach. "This is truly amazing, but I can't take this role." James confessed.

"What?" Coach asked. James shook his head.

"I want Charlie to be captain. He deserves it more than me." James sighed. I smiled.

"Okay, the new team captain is Charlie!" Coach announced. We all cheered and skated to Charlie while I skated to James.

"Very nice of you to do that." I said. He smiled.

"Hey, he helped me a lot, he deserves it more than me. Anyways, I know that he has been wanting to be captain." James confessed. I laughed.

"Come on, let's go."

_________________________

I got a tray and started to go down the line, picking my lunch as I went. Connie and Adam was next to me. "So, where's Matt?" Connie asked as she got a sandwich.

"He's sick so he's in his dorm. I'm gonna check on him when I have time." I replied. She nodded.

"Heard you guys were getting married." Adam implied without looking at me.

"Yeah." I sighed.

"Why?" Adam asked as he got a water bottle.

"Because I love him." I replied.

"So?"

"Adam. Why can't you just be happy that I'm happy?" I asked. He sighed.

"Because..." He paused. "Because I love you and you're marrying Matt. Look, I'm sorry Courtney." Adam apologize. We got to the lunch lady. "I got hers too." He pulled out his wallet and got a twenty dollar bill out and handed it to her. She grabbed it and put it in the register.

"Thanks." He sighed.

"Anyway. I just wish it was like what is was when we were little." Adam confessed.

"What do you mean?" I asked. We got to the table and sat down.

"Like, when we were dating and everything. I knew you loved me then." He sighed. "I don't know. I just can't see you getting married to him because I'm in love with you."