Chapter 10

Courtney

"Alright. Come on, get to your seat." The man demanded. We all sat down in our chairs. I sat next to Adam and Dwayne. We all had to take up two rows since we had a lot of people. The man came up to the microphone.

"Hello everyone! My names is Mr. Stafford, the principal of the University of Minnesota!" He introduced. Everyone started to clap. Except for the team. We just all leaned over and stared at James. He didn't look at us, he was still looking at the stage. I look back up. "I want to thank all of you for coming to this scholarship ceremony. Today, thirteen new students come into our school. And their coach, Mr. Gordon Bombay, wants to say a few word before we start the ceremony." Mr. Stafford said. We all start to clap when we see Coach come up to the microphone.

"Hello, my names is Gordon Bombay. I previous coach of these amazing people." Coach said. Previous? "I am so proud of them. They work really hard for these scholarships this this university. I will help Mr. Stafford give out these awards and, as I do, I'll tell the story of how I met them and what I thought of them. Mr. Stafford." Coach said. Mr. Stafford came back with a huge stack of papers, A.K.A, our scholarships.

"I'll start out with Courtney Jane." Coach said. I looked up. "I first met Courtney on the lake. She was playing hockey with the rest of her little friends. And she was about twelve years old at the time. I didn't really think much about her at first. Then, I split them up into teams. Courtney volunteered to go to center ice. When I threw the puck down, she was the first one to get it.

She is an amazing player. I still remember being in shock when she got that puck, and shot it to one of her team players. I wish I would of told her sooner though and not had been so rough. I know she had a hard life. She was originally from Tennessee. Her mom and little sister died in a car accident over there." He said. I started to remember what Dad told me about the story. About how she wanted us dead. "And her dad got remarried, and she had a little step-brother. She loved him, I know. She talked about him a lot, always worried about him.

Then, he sadly died from cancer. And now, her dad has passed. But she is here today. I remember, when we played the toughest games, I would look at her, she would stand there, head up high, and not scared at all, and that would make me more relaxed, and, also happy. So, today I am proud to say that Courtney is really like a daughter to me. Always there for me, never gave up hope on me. Come on up, Court." Coach said.

I started to tear up. I got up from my chair and went up you to the stage. I gave Coach the biggest hug. Everyone started to clap.

"Thank you." I whispered in his ear while we were still hugging.

"It's only the truth." Coach whispered back. We pulled away from each other. Coach turned around and got my scholarship and and handed it to me. We started to get pictures taken by many people. After the pictures. Mr. Stafford when the microphone.

"Courtney." Mr. Stafford called out. I stopped what I was doing and turned to him. "Would you like to say something's about your coach?" He asked. I nodded. I walked up to the microphone. Everyone fell silent. I let out a little laugh, then looked out to the other student here. I smiled.

"Well. Where do I begin?"