Chapter 9

Courtney

"So, how has it been in Tennessee?" Adam asked me. I shrugged.

"I sure did miss y'all." I sighed. "Yeah, I joined a hockey league up there but it wasn't the same as down here, so I quit. Then, my dad died a couple months ago and my step-mom didn't like me after that so she kicked me out. I moved in with my best friend, May, then I came down here." I replied. Adam nodded.

"Wow." He said in shock. We started to go under neath a long bridge. I looked at Adam.

"How have you been?" I asked.

"Pretty good. I graduated high school and I was trying to find a college and I couldn't find one. Then a letter came in saying I got a scholarship for hockey. I couldn't decline." He replied. I nodded.

"Same here." We looked at each other, then smiled.

"Hey guys!" I heard someone say. I looked behind me and saw Goldberg skating with us like nothing happened.

"Goldberg!" We all yelled. He stopped smiling.

"What?!" He asked. I stared at him.

"Where the hell is Charlie? Didn't he come after you?" I asked.

"Yeah, but I don't know where he is." Goldberg replied. We finally got out from being underneath the bridge. I heard yelling. I looked up. Charlie jumped over the railing of the bridge, and was going to land on me.

I felt someone grab my wrist and yank me back and hold me in their arms. It was Adam. I couldn't see him, but by the way he's holding me, I could tell it was him. I saw Charlie land right in front of us and stopped. He looked at us in complete shock.

"Charlie! Are you alright?!" I asked. Still in shock, he nodded.

"Woah! That was cool! Let's do it again!" Goldberg exclaimed. Adam let go of me and we all turned to him.

"No!" We all yelled. He started to frown like a little kid. I turned to Adam and smiled.

"Thanks for saving my life." I laughed. He smiled back.

"Anything for you." I turned to Charlie.

"How much time do we have left?" I asked. Charlie looked at his watch.

"They start in one minute! We need to go now!" Charlie yelled. We all started to do sprints on our rollerblades.

_________________________

Once we got to the college, we started to look for a place to go into the stage on. So really, a door. "Hey guy! Found it!" I heard Charlie yell. We all started to skate over. He opened the door and had us all go in. "Come on guys! We're late!" He said. Just like old time.

When Charlie was captain of the team, he would do that to get us pumped up. We all skated in and Charlie closed the door. I was guessing we were backstage be it was pitch black and I couldn't see at all. I heard a man talk into the microphone.

"Some of these fine kids played for the team called, the Ducks. They won the championships for Pee Wee hockey and later met new friends and went on Team USA and they won again. I'm so grateful to have there adults now play for the Lightning. Ladies and gentleman, please welcome the Mighty Ducks!" The man said. I felt someone run into me.

I fell, but grabbed the curtain at the same time. I fell on my knees and the curtain fell, having everyone fall. I heard some people gasp, then everyone go silent, except for us. We were all trying to get out from underneath the heavy curtain. Once we finally got out, I looked out, and saw that everyone was staring. I swallowed hard.

"Hi." Charlie said nervously. He made a really loud pop noise with his lips. "We're the Ducks." Everyone was starting to laugh. We all started to get up. Adam came over and helped me up, then Connie, then Julie. Everyone started to clap. We all looked at each other, not knowing what to do. The man, who I'm guessing is the principal, came up to us.

"Take a seat, the scholarship is about to begin."