Chapter 69

Courtney

The lawyer looked at me. "I would love to call my first witness, Courtney Jane." The lawyer called out. I looked at Charlie. He nodded.

I got up and started to walk up to the witness stand. Once I got there, I sat down and leaned slightly to the microphone.

"Just to remind you, Mr..." I paused.

"Mr. Lack." He replied. I nodded with a smile.

"Mr. Lack, this is just to get my scholarship back, not a murder." I heard everyone laugh.

"And for your information, you are under oath, so don't lie." He warned. "So, state your name."

"Courtney Ocean Jane." I replied.

"You are not married, is that correct?" I heard Adam cough on purpose. I shook my head. "Yes, or no?" He asked.

"No." I snapped. Mr. Lack nodded.

"Great, and how old are you?" He asked.

"Twenty-two." I replied. He nodded again like he's getting important facts.

"Ms. Jane, do you know right from wrong?" Mr. Lack asked.

"Explain." I demanded.

"Define the word 'wrong'." He demanded.

"That's means not to break someone's heart." I looked at Adam. He put his head down. "And like, not to steal and not doing stuff right, like breaking the law." I explained. He nodded.

"So, is it true that you pranked the varsity team?" Mr. Lack asked.

"Objection!" Coach Bombay yelled as he stood up. He slammed his hand onto the table.

"Overruled!" The judge yelled. She turned and faced the Mr. Lack. "Go on."

"Ms. Jane, have you ever pranked the varsity team?" He asked.

"I haven't, but the rest of the team as."