137 | S3: The Fearsome Reed

<Kaede>
In the past when I watched the seasons change, I would find myself standing alone amongst the red maple trees waiting for something. I don't really remember what I was waiting for but maybe it a sign, a purpose for me to keep moving forward.

I didn't have the greatest childhood and what made it worst was that I felt isolated, even from my own sister when she started to wear a fake smile around the time her world fell apart.

There were times that I wanted to fall into deep sleep and never wake up. I wanted to keep dreaming of the life manifested in those lonesome thoughts at night.

KNOCK KNOCK

But now everything is different. Maybe everything that happened to me happened for a reason.

"Door is open." I said aloud while keeping my eyes glued to the papers before me.

"Hey, are you busy?" I heard Terasaka's voice and I glanced up to see him peeking his head through the door.

"Should I come back another time?"

"It's alright, give me some company please. I desperately need a break from all these papers." I invited him but another person followed behind.

The man along side Terasaka wore a military uniform, he had silvery blond hair, and his eyes reminded me red honey crisp apples.

I stood up and paused. As I was trying to remember that face of his, I couldn't recall ever seeing it.

"Ah, this is Katsuo." Terasaka introduced.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Kaede Kayano." I smiled and reached out to shake his hand.

He gently smiled and shook my hand back.

"Katsuo Sato. It's a pleasure to finally make your acquaintance, Dame Kayano."

"Ah, you don't have to call me that." I awkwardly pulled my hand back to my side.

"You're a modest one I see." His light chuckle was faintly calming and I scratched the back of my head.

"Well, I am still not use to the title." I said honestly, "it's a lot of pressure."

"There you go again." Terasaka sighed, "your confidence is unpredictable sometimes. It's either there at full or completely nonexistent." Terasaka sat down on rolled armchair.

I made eye contact with Katsuo and he motioned his hand for me to sit down and get comfortable as well. I made my way to the seat opposite of the two and sat with my leg crossed over.

"You didn't just come for a mere introduction I presume?" I brought up.

"Yes and no. I knew you would be lonely and Katsuo just came back from oversees training so I thought it would be great to introduce you guys." Terasaka explained.

"I met Terasaka a year ago in Mellow Orchard village. He was patrolling and mistaken me for a thief." Katsuo brought up with a little crack of laughter that he and Terasaka were trying to hide.

"You must of looked very suspicious if he thought that you looked like a thief." I sighed. "Well, I for one think that friendships bloom from a memorable moment."

And like that, I started to remember the day Nagisa and I met. The trouble that I got into with Karma and how far the three of us have come.

"Dame Kayano, if you don't mind me asking, will you be attending the soirée in a couple of days?"

Ah, I totally forgot about that event. The current Crowns thought that it would be nice to continue the annual soirée hosted at the palace's ballroom. It's open invitation and usually the turn out is quite astonishing.

"Of course I'll be attending it." I replied, "as a personal guard of the Crowns, I must stay by their side."

"A foolish question to ask, my apologies." Katsuo smiled. "My younger sister is quite excited about it so I'll be escorting her."

"She's a brat." Terasaka whispered, "no manners at all."

"Well, I wouldn't be so rude." I glared at him for making such comments.

"Well, she is not like most girls." Katsuo chuckled, "but dear to me nonetheless. If the chance permits, maybe we'll be able to see you."

"Katsuo's younger sister adores you quite a lot. You're a popular topic amongst the youth these days, especially the girls." Terasaka brought up.

"Don't be silly." I sighed.

"It's quite true. Rather than gossip over tea, it's usually about the female member of the Tempus Five." Katsuo confirmed.

"Well it's a honor then." I awkwardly smiled. "It would be nice to attend it as a guest rather than a guard if it was possible."

"But you're not fond of jewelry and gowns." Terasaka pointed out, "you dread heels."

"Is that so?" Katsuo wondered.

"Yes it's true." I confirmed, "I've always been boyish growing up and never really found myself doing what most girls did. Though, it would be nice to see myself in a grown for once." I confessed.

"But even if you attended as a guest, you would show up in men's attire." Terasaka sighed.

"You're quite right. The comfortable the better." The both of us laughed and Katsuo sat there lightly smiling from our exchange.

Before we knew it, an hour past and I knew that if they had stayed any longer I wouldn't be able to finish my work on time.

"Well, it was a pleasure getting to know you Dame Kayano. Will it be alright to visit you again?"

"Likewise. And yes of course." I nodded my head, "I do appreciate company every now and then."

"You're busy yourself." Terasaka nudged his arm, "don't let your superiors see you slacking."

"I'm usually a cunning one. Most things I get away with my charming looks." Katsuo grinned.

Terasaka coughed from his comment and rolled his eyes.

"Save it for the soirée Prince Charming." He patted Katsuo's arm and they both got up from their seats.

"We'll see you around then Kaede." Terasaka waved as they made it to the door.

"Until next time, Dame Kayano." Katsuo also added.

"Bye." I waved back and the door closed behind the two.

When I went back to my desk, on my way I noticed a black-roped bracelet on the ground of where they were sitting before they left.

I picked it up and inspected it. It doesn't look like something Terasaka would wear, it must be Katsuo's then.

I placed it on my desk and sat down. I'll probably have to ask Terasaka to return it to Katsuo if it happens to be his.

After that thought, I stared at the document that I left off with and began to read.

"I didn't think that as a personal guard of the Queen that I would be stuck doing paperwork as well..."

I let out a loud sigh and plopped my head on the desk. In my view, I saw the time on the desk clock and noticed that it was almost lunch.

Raising my head, I stretched my arms and finally got back to work.