96 | S2: Fate of Gods

<Nagisa>
Once we made it back to the palace, we made a stop at our chambers before heading over to speak with Manami. I unloaded my luggage separate from my clothes and garments and carefully took out the bow first.

"Looks different." Karma commented.

"Yeah, a few days after the whole ordeal with my family and restoration of the kingdom, Kaede made a special request for me, its customized beautifully." I explained.

I caressed the black limbs of the bow and touched the green windows. Unlike the other military bows used for practice, hunting, even battle, the old bow I had was more so a thin semi-circle in shape. But this new one had an indent in the middle, pressing inwards but still upholding the semi-circle shape.

"Nagisa." Karma called my name.

I glanced up from the bow and Karma took my hand, helping me up. The sight of wavering emotions twinkled in his eyes and he gripped my hand tightly.

"Look at you, you look like you're going to break any second." I caressed his cheek, "aren't you the one who told me-."

Karma pulled me in and planted his lips on mine. The sweetness and warmth from his mouth united with mine and I wrapped my arms around him. It wasn't just a simple kiss, it was almost like we were parting. Mixed with love, there was sadness, dripping into my mouth and leaving a mark.

I touched his chest and inched away, staring back I to the windows of his soul.

"Please don't be reckless, I don't know what I'll do if I can't protect you." He said.

I swallowed and nodded my head.

"You as well, Karma." I replied, "I can't afford to lose you either." I stepped closer in again and rested my head on his shoulder.

The supple scent of fruiting camellias flowered from him, making it harder for me to leave him because I felt at ease.
And despite saying that we'll be successful in our plans, I could help but to reinstate the love running through these veins of mine.

"I'm scared, but I love you Karma." I confessed.

"I love you Nagisa, I love you more than anything and I will definitely protect you." He kissed my forehead.

"You know I can fend for myself." I playfully rolled my eyes, "I can't take the burden of someone sacrificing themselves for me." I explained.

"Neither can I." Karma patted my shoulder and leaned over to hand me my quiver, loaded with metal-shafted arrows.

I held the straps of the quiver and wore it across my chest. Touching the pommel of the sword casted on my hips, I decided to keep it with me just in case.
In that moment, I recalled the last time I ever used it to cut someone down.
Bursting in my thoughts so vividly, I wonder if I'll have to do it again.
•••••
On our way to the Queen, we were escorted by a handful of knights. Karma and I took extra caution while walking with them but they didn't pose a threat.
Once we made it, Manami was sitting anxiously alone in the conference room. When she saw us, it seemed as if she was about to erupt into apologies and tears.

"Is Lady Kayano alright?" Was the first thing she said, "I was driven out so quickly by the guards, I wish I could of stayed-."

"We're unsure at the moment." Karma replied, closing the door behind us.

"It's up to whether you believe in me or not but I can assure you that we have the best physicians, both here at the palace and locally. They do not gamble with human life." We sat down across from her and listened with all ears.

"I hope that is the case." I spoke. "What is it that you've heard on your end? Any news?" I wondered.

"Yes, a sailor reported a suspicious boat near the port so I took in our best interest to close access to the port until further examination is complete. The attacker shouldn't have gone far so I sent signals through our communication wires to neighboring towns to secure the borders." She explained.

Did Karasuma manage to get to the port in time to let the royal ship head home first? I glanced over at Karma.

"That's good enough for now." Karma thought, "but could the boat at the port be a decoy? Don't employ numerous officials at the scene if they can be of use here." He added.

"I will surely take note of it." Manami agreed.

"I don't mean for this to come off rude but where is your mother?" I asked Manami. "She left early during the coronation ceremony and was not present during the after party."

Karma zeroed in and nodded his head.

"My mother does have the aura of someone suspect doesn't she? Rest assured, she is not like that at all even if she has a mind of her own. She is currently meeting with the military general." She made clear, "we can't dismiss the probability that this attacker could be a foreigner from another Kingdom or lands of sorts."

"What are you suggesting?" I leaned in.

"Every possible threat." Manami looked intensely into my eyes and I respected how thorough she was with this investigation.

KNOCK, KNOCK

Manami rose from her seat and so did we.
"You may enter." She said loudly.

The door opened and Okajima stumbled in out of breath, a bit tattered and messy. A few other knights without their helmets followed behind him.

"My Queen! It's bad!" He exclaimed while trying to catch his breath, "you must come quickly!"

"What's the meaning of this?" She questioned, heading to the door and making a quick glance at us to follow. Without a moment to speak amongst ourselves, Karma and I joined without question.

"There's an intruder." He said, "it's terrible, they managed to-." Okajima hesitated and but his lip, "there's no time, let's go."

Karma and I hurried together and kept our hands close to the handle of our swords. A few knights led the way and some protected us from the rear.

How is it possible that an intruder slipped in? Of course there's always a possibility for it but believe it or not, this palace is built with heavy surveillance. In the chaotic state that we're in at the moment, these knights don't break under pressure do they?

Then why is only Okajima panicking?
Karma must of caught on too because he started glancing sneakily behind him to carefully watch our backs.
If my reasoning is correct, Okajima is apart of the Queen's Guard, so wouldn't he have more training and experience than these knights who kept a solid face of indifference? Even Hazama wouldn't have-

That's it huh?
We're blindly running to our deaths.