80 | Flicker in Flames

<Nagisa>
The day after, I woke up with sores from the hips down and prominent bruises around my neck and some around my waist. Sometimes I wonder if Karma even knows the definition of taking it easy.

I sat up and stretched my arms, looking around to notice once again, that I stayed the night in Karma's room. At this rate, wouldn't it be best if Karma and I shared a room?

Though, possibly for tradition sake the rooms are separate until marriage I suppose. But that protocol is existent for normal couples, male and female.

Suddenly, I saw Karma sitting by the window, reading the haystack of letters sent from all over the kingdom. I laid my back against the puffy pillows and carefully watched how focused he stayed along each letter, then the entire words to sentences.

"It will take nearly months, or possibly our next birthday to read them all." I joked.

Karma gazed up and smiled, "then come over and let's read them together. To be any kind of ruler, we must know the people best."

I crawled out of bed with the wolf fur blanket wrapped around me. Surely, if I hadn't decided to hide my body, Karma would love to stare at me nakedly while reading the letters.

"How many have you've read so far? I take it more than I as I stopped rather early yesterday." I asked.

"Well, many of them are simple and short. Around 435 in counting." Karma replied, "if you think this is the end of them, just wait until you see the sack in the mailing room." Karma chuckled.

KNOCK KNOCK

I looked up and stared at the door. I was in no condition to answer it, so I slipped back into bed. I wonder who it can be? At this rate and time, it could be Karasuma, or even Lady Irina.

Karma got up and answered the door. I couldn't see who was there, I only heard some of the conversation. Though, it was rather quiet to piece anything together.

The door finally closed.

"Karma? Who was that?" I sat on the edge, peeking around the corner until someone came around.

But it wasn't Karma and I flinched from sudden shock.

"Ah, good morning Nagisa. Sorry to intrude." Kaede emerged with a gleaming expression, "we rarely get to see each other these days."

"Y-Yeah, it's been awhile. We only see each other in the halls every so often. You're busy with new recruits anyhow. How are they?"

I pull the covers up.

As Kaede was about to speak, Karma showed up and stood beside her. She noticed and slightly bowed her head. I glared at him for inviting her in while I was in this embarrassing state. Instead of feeling guilty, he winked at me.
It would of been better to talk to her more in a decent state.

"They're promising actually, some need work but it will be a journey for myself." She explained, "Karasuma has been summoning me in the presence of the current Crowns for awhile now. Therefore, my schedule is quite exhausting." She giggled.

"Surely you have time to go home as well?" I wondered.

She held back and shook her head, "no, I haven't, it's been quite a while."

"Not even a mere visit?" Karma nudged her shoulder, "did you once say that your sister was pregnant. The baby must be a year old by now."

"Unfortunately, I have yet to see my nephew all this time." Kaede didn't seem well with the topic so there was no means to continue it.