56 | The First Sin

<Nagisa>
I don't know what happened to me. Did I die? I woke up in this room, but it wasn't one from the palace. From the interior, it was a wooden inside with one window with navy curtains. The bed I was in was small for one. There was a table with a oval mirror, next to a small brown wardrobe.

I slipped out and went for the door, but it was locked from the outside. With some force here and there, jiggling the knob, it wouldn't budge. Where am I?
I scanned the room and noticed a small portrait of a girl. I examined the photo closer and noticed that it looked like Yua.
And it was.
It's probably her in her teens years, but it's not like there was a major difference.

Is this her room? But-
I went over to the window and tried to open the latch, however it was no use. It was locked as well. I looked out and saw a floral garden with a presentation of multifarious colors.
There was even a magnolia tree in the center of it, standing tall with its blooming pink flowers.
This house must be in Magnolia Landing.

I tried the door again and started banging on it. I shouted with all my lungs and hit the door as hard as I could.

"Hello?! Anyone?! Let me out! Karma!"

I banged on it again and again. But there was no answer, there was no one.

I collapsed on my knees and hurried to comprehend what kind of situation I was in. This must be a dream, there is no other way to explain it.
Then something on my arm caught my attention. I raised it and saw markings, deep scratches of some kind present. When did I injure myself?

I brushed my fingers along it and it stung a little. If this was a dream, I wouldn't feel pain. At least that's what I think.
So what should I do? It's not like I can get out.
I pounded on the window and it just vibrated. Not in a sense that it repelled my hand, but like it was warping and becoming still once more.

I calmed myself down first, in order to figure out why and how I got here. The last thing I remembered was Queen Yua holding me, while I fell asleep. And it was her gracious and soothing voice that carried me away from my thoughts.
Everything else is a blur.

Instead of lounging around trying to panic, I made use of my time to investigate. There's nothing I can do right?

I opened the drawers of the desk and peeked through. There was only but a brown leather journal and a pen. I grabbed it and saw that there was a lock on it. Like the one that girl had. I don't know why I suddenly remembered that little girl.

I wonder where the key is. I looked around the room in search for it. Under the pillow, the floor mat, window sill, wardrobe, and behind the photograph on the wall. And there it was.
I carefully extracted the key that was taped to the back of the photograph and used it to open up the journal. To my luck, it worked.

The first page was blank, with small spec of a red smudge. I continue to look through the pages and saw that there was writing.
Many pages consisted of diary style entries, dating back. There was even more photos taped inside, followed by some words written on the bottom.

One of them was a picture of little Queen Yua, around the age of seven, standing next to a boy with shaggy black hair. He had an intense ear to ear smile, as they both held hands. He was also wearing a loose shirt that displayed his collar bone. A little underneath was a yellow crescent birthmark. One thing for sure is, it wasn't King Roka.
The words written underneath with ink said, "let the parting start, when the darkness prevails."
••••••
<Karma>
Since noon, I've been discussing matters of the fate of the kingdom with Kaede. She continued with her news she was able to attain through interrogations and those who were willing to spare a few seconds.

"Many of them say the same thing. That they are being paid by someone to create distress amongst the kingdom. But it's more than that, the destruction is supposed to distract others, while at the same time they are searching for someone, a man." She explained.

"To whom are they being paid off by?" I questioned.
"A lady I presume. Due to how they described her." She answered.

"Could it be the one they are after is Mamoru?" I suggested, "I could be wrong but, if everything aligns, then we can't dismiss it."

"That is true. For now, let's just assume that it is Mamoru. But why would they want him?" Kaede brought up a good question worth deepening. "For instance, when we were ambushed. They tried to held ahold of him." She reminded me.

I took a few notes as we went and it felt like we were coming close to the truth. Though, there were many holes we had to recognize, like the Queen being poisoned. How does it all connect to one person?

"I want to thank you again, my King." Kaede bowed her head in her seat. "For protecting my name."

The sudden thanks cleared my seriousness and lightened the tensity. I found it relaxing and chuckled in response.

"It's only natural. I can't afford to lose someone like you. How could I tell Nagisa?" I organized all the notes and letters sent by Kaede previously, placing them into an envelope.

"Shall we burn them?" Kaede questioned.

"I was thinking the same however, why? Wouldn't we be burning history? Think about it. The archives we possess of the reigns, all tell us a happy ending. A prosperous rule for all." I explained, "with this, it can teach the younger generations that evil can exist. That Nagisa and I are an exception."

Kaede followed along and agreed.

"But some may take it as a curse." She pointed out.

"Because something like this never happened before, other than King Kirai's rule. They don't know how to react, so they just panic. It's all in the mind." I sighed and handed her the envelope. "Make sure to hand this to the archivists." I ordered.

"Of course." She took the envelope with two hands and tucked it underneath her arm and stood up.

As she was about to leave, she turned around.

"Do you think Nagisa is okay?" She asked.

"I want to believe that he is." I answered.

"What if Nagisa doesn't ever want to come back? He's been through a lot and-."

"Kaede, I believe that no matter what Nagisa thinks. One thing is for sure, he won't run away from this." I assured, "I believe that he'll come back to me...to all of us." I added.

She gleamed and nodded her head, slightly giggling.
"He has to miss us, wont he?"