26 | Nightly

<Karma>
I ended up having dinner alone. The lone table within the royal dining hall and me. I sat there drinking the wine that the servants poured only to have everything become bland. It's true that food tastes better when you're eating with people around.

I wonder what Nagisa is doing right now? Is he tending to his sick mother? Reuniting with his family? It made me think if I should visit my own family as well, instead of writing letters back and forth.

"My King, would you like another glass?" A maid was to my right and widen her eyes at my empty glass. She held the red wine in her hands and stood still until I responded.

"No, that will be all. Thank you, but I think I'm going retire early." I stood up and dropped the white napkin on the lonely table.

"Sorry that the food was not to your liking." She bowed her head.

"No it's not that, don't get me wrong. The food is always great, just eating alone just kills the gist of it." I explained myself.

"Why of course." She bowed her head once more and another smaller maid walked over to clear my dishes.

I stepped out of the dining hall and checked my pocket watch. It was a quarter past 8. Maybe I'll go to bed early today, wake up early tomorrow and get some work done. Nagisa is lucky as the Queen, he doesn't have to do as much work.
I chuckled to myself.

I started to think about the day when Nagisa and I would take over the crown, sit on the thrones once we turn 18, it will be our time.
     ••••••
<Nagisa>
"Oh my look at you, you've grown!" My uncle was the last to arrive at the dinner table with his new wife. He looked much older by the way he grew out his facial hair.

Everyone was seated now. Quite a late start to the last meal of the day. I sat next to Mamoru, where he still possessed awkward tension.

Father was to my right, and uncle sat across with his wife. On Father's side, there was his younger sister and brother. Lastly, the empty seat next to Father was where mother would sit.

"How is living in the palace?" My father's sister, my aunt asked, "it's overwhelmingly beautiful isn't it?" She spoke gently and nothing like mothers tone. I think both Mamoru and I can agree that it soothes us.

"And congratulations to you Mamoru." Aunt gleamed.

"Ah yes." Mamoru was startled by her words and directed his eyes somewhere else. "Thank you." He struggled to say.

Does he really intend to keep silent?

"Father, there something I must tell you-"

As I was about to get his attention, Mamoru kicked my leg forcibly with his rough strength and I spazzed from the pain.

"O-ouch..." I leaned over.

"Huh? What is it son?" He leaned over, "are you okay? Did you hurt yourself?"

"Ahaha. Nothing, never mind." I assured and sat right up and glanced over at Mamoru who was eating his food.

He does intend to keep silent after all.

"Say, won't you tell us about the King? A nice fellow correct? Your fiancé." Uncle chuckled.

"Same as ever." I replied, "just very, I don't know how to describe him. He's kind." Is all that I could think of.

"Kind you say?" Mamoru set down his silverware. "Nagisa means to say that he's kind as of the moment, but once he sits on the thrown, he'll be consumed with power much more power than he could ever imagine. I've seen the Akabane family, closely net to the Asano's. Power hungry wolves."

"Why you don't have to exaggerate. Yes, they are known for their pitiless acts, but at least the woman of that family balance it out." Father responded.

"Have you met them before?" I questioned Mamoru, "don't make assumptions nor any kind of comments like those if you've never met them." I stood up for the representation of Karma, who is not here.

I didn't like the fact that Mamoru was degrading him. I can't say anything for the Asano's, but this is the least I can do.

"Hahaha, Nagisa my boy, don't get so riled up. Of course Mamoru has had a sharp tongue since the womb." Uncle laughed.

"Very true." Father agreed.

"He is a growing boy but maybe his way of approaching these things should change." Aunt sided with me and I respected that.

"Lets toast." Father stood up with his wine glass.

"For the wellbeing of the family, Nagisa, and Mamoru's wedding."

Everyone else stood up and Mamoru played along.
I was the last to stand and everyone looked over.

"Nagisa?" Father said my name.

I slowly got up and held the wine in my hand.

"For the wellbeing of the family and Mamoru's wedding." I toasted snd they all followed with cheers and tapping of glasses.

Mamoru chugged down his wine. Like drinking his life that will no longer be his. Until the last drop.
••••••
<Nagisa>
By the end of it. I had to visit Mother again or else she would cause some kind of commotion later on. Father told me where she was kept and I was notified by the caretaker, that she was awake.

I entered the room and saw mother sitting up. She didn't notice me until I sat down where father had sat before.

"You're awake. How do you feel?" I asked, taking her hand into mine. However she automatically refused it and removed her hand away.

"I'm well." She replied.

"I see." I took my hands back, laying it on my lap and continued the conversation.

"I assume that you would be out and about for Mamoru's wedding?" I tried to make the mood a little more enthusiastic.

Mother sighed and crossed her arms.

"Why of course, he's my son." She replied.

"I presume that you will also be at mine? A special seat for both you and Father." I didn't know what else to talk about. We are already in this topic, so let's see how this will go.

"Talking so highly of yourself, you're wedding. Right now it's about Mamoru. Tch...you didn't have to come back, it was your father who wrote that letter. I know that you would of stayed put if you had the chance." Mother coldly brushed me aside as if I wasn't as significant as Mamoru.

I stood up, because I knew I couldn't win against it. I should have never gone home...it's for the best isn't it? But if I didn't come back I wouldn't have known the predicament of what Mamoru is going through.

"Be sure to close the door on the way out." Mother lastly said as I opened it.

I stood frozen at the door. With this kind of punctured heart. Sickening with pain.

"Yes, mother."