90 | S2: Golden Butterfly

<Karma>
After a while, Nagisa had started to doze off and it was apparent that the alcohol had gone to his head. His cheeks were fluffy pink and he swayed a bit each time he took another sip of his wine.

After that topic ending by yours truly, it's been awkward and silent since. I took it in my power to suggest the end of dinner because Nagisa wasn't in any means to continue.

I can only imagine how embarrassed he would be if the alcohol had made him do indecent yet humorous things. Ah, but I must save the entertainment for next time.

"Should I call for someone to help carry him to the room?" Manami offered.

"I'll be able to help him myself, thank you." I appreciated the offer and knew that Kaede was lingering around the area. For some reason, I could sense her presence beyond these walls.

A palace knight took Manami back to her room and one escorted us while I had Nagisa's right arm on my shoulder, supporting his hips with my other arm.

Along the way, I spotted Kaede who was talking with a Scienion knight. Without a word she noticed us right away.

"Good evening, my King." She glimmered. "How was dinner?" She greeted with her hands behind her back.

"Delicious." I answered. "Did you eat yet?"

"Yes, both Karasuma and I had our meals with the other knights in the designated halls. I take it that the Queen drank more than he could keep down?" She tried to keep in her giggles.

"Yes." I nodded my head with a sigh.

"Will it be alright for me to escort them back myself?" Kaede asked the knight attending us.

"By all means." He responded and shortly nodded his head at me, "have a pleasant evening."

"Thank you." I acknowledged him and Kaede dropped her arms by her side.

Once both knights left us, Kaede helped support Nagisa on the other side. She carefully and with a mouse-like manner, giggled to herself.

"Why, the Queen must have been stressed during the meal." She commented, "takes the pain away, is what the girls say back at home."

"Huh?" I made eye contact with Kaede.

"Surely you must know that jealously is a quality that all humans possess. Whether they like it or not, show it, or not. It resides within us like flowing red blood." She explained.

"I know that much but I didn't think Nagisa was so bothered by it." I said. "Honestly, he can be a child sometimes." I sighed.

"The Queen does overthink everything easily. However, why it that?" Remember what happened when Nagisa was framed? Before that, you confessed your love to him, you both proved the world can be different. But when those matters materialized unexpectedly, what happened to Nagisa?"

"I should of noticed." Was all I could say. An observer like Kaede is rather helpful to have around.
But why does it feel like I will never hear the end of this?

I looked down at Nagisa who kept bobbing his head.
His cheeks were still hot and bright pink and showed no sign of wearing away. His tolerance to alcohol really shows.

When we made it to the chamber, Kaede helped me slightly undress Nagisa. His boots, outer layer black vest and his ruffled button up.

"I presume you can do the rest?" She winked.

"Thanks Kaede." I appreciated the fact that when she comes around, she's always helpful no matter the situation.

Kaede bowed her head deep, wishing us a good night sleep. At the door when I saw her out, she made sure to apologize if she was being rude. Of course, I wanted her to pay no mind to it.

Once I closed the door, I walked back to the bed where Nagisa was sleeping soundlessly. However, to my surprise someone decided to visit.

Roka sat on the edge of the bed and had his hand on Nagisa'a head, petting him like how a father caresses their child to sleep.

"He has calmed down." He pointed out. "Just like Yua, they couldn't drink if their lives depended on it."

"I thought your souls was bounded to the Kingdom." I brought up.

Roka raised a brow and chuckled, "that may be true but I have decided to set him free. I think when I did that my spirit was able to manifest here and follow you."

"What do you mean, set him free?" I questioned.

"The current Crowns, the King to be exact. He can no longer feel my presence. The thinning of the rusty shackles have finally fallen. It's earlier than expected but I think it's time." Roka wistfully smiled, "the weight is off his shoulders. And now I'm all yours."

"Wait, but why now? Couldn't you have waited until we got back to the Kingdom?" I exclaimed. "How will things process-."

"It wasn't my decision alone. I came to him one last time when you were still on that ship sailing. As the yellow crescent moon descended from the sky, he called for me."

"And what did he say?" I wondered a little worried.

Roka nodded his head and removed his hand from Nagisa's head. He shifted his body towards me and motioned his hand in the air.

A thin cloud of blue appeared like some sort of magic and I was able to see the palace back at home. The image readjusted and this time I was able to see the King sitting in his study with candles lit. Roka stood there in front of the desk as the King spoke with a tired raspy voice.
•••••
"Good friend, hasn't my time come? I can only do so much at this age, being eighty-two. It was an honor to have been chosen, to have met my wife, but can we settle down as if those titles never existed?"

"Are you sure? You still have a year until the boys take the throne." Roka replied, people can do so much in a years time."

"And those boys have been surprising me ever since they've stepped into this palace. They've done so much, more than what my wife and I had done before we were crowned."

"You'll never hear from me again." Roka said with a pained expression, "this will be the end."

"I know. I know that." The King sighed despondently, "you've been supporting my life ever since I was born, you think you can cut me some slack? Not even my father doted on me for so long." He laughed and Roka took in the humor.

Roka kindly agreed and nodded his head.
"Usually, it's never like this. But things have already changed, haven't they?"

"Yes indeed they have. Though, I wish I knew what to say." The King poured a glass of whisky and handed it to Roka. "Our last if you must."

Roka took the glass and saw his reflection in the light caramel liquid.

"Ah, that's it." The King finally thought of something.

"And what that may be?" Roka lifted his glass up and tapped it against the King's.

"I'm sorry to ask this of you so late in my life but before we part good friend, could you tell me your name?"