99 | S2: Black Knight

<Karasuma>
At the port, I was able to get ahold of a messenger bird from the royal naval ship. It was apparent that I wouldn't find those two in time so I wrote the letter myself and sent it off.

"Didn't think it would become something like this so fast." The Captain shook his head concerned walking towards me, "on a special visit too."

The captain had heard the news from other sailors about the commotion at the palace hours before but nothing more. If the locals are rather content about this, then I wonder how many people actually know about the coup that is happening. Is it only known within the palace to make it quiet as possible?

"Why, it's unfortunate what happened to lady Kaede too." He spoke, "they were right to keep her here until she is able. Wouldn't want to stress the lady even more." He lit his brown pipe and I saw a younger man came running towards us.

"Ah, Sir Karasuma. The bow and arrows you asked for." One of the sailors appeared with a quiver full of arrows and a black bow.

I acknowledged and thanked him, taking the items in my arms and bow slung on my back.

"Even so, the Crowns gave me orders to send you off first. Raise the anchor and get going soon." I said continuing the conversation with the captain.

"Why, we cannot simply leave." He said flabbergasted, "what kind of men are we to abandon the Crowns in the state of pandemonium? Forget the orders, we will stay."

"Ignoring orders won't help with the predicament." I pointed out, "it's best not to get more people involved."

"In such a state of confusion, you expect my men and I to sail to safety and leave the Crowns? What do you take me for Tadaomi?" His tone changed, "and if the King himself told you to escape as well?"

I chuckled and started making my way towards the exit. I glanced into the waters below, clear as the sky above. How can things be so calm during times like this?

"Well, I knew I couldn't persuade you." I waved, "alright, be safe then Matsukata, or your death will become my responsibility."
•••••
By horse, I decided to visit the local hospital that was treating Kaede before I went back to the palace. I can only hope that the Crowns are doing fine and not making reckless decisions.

"Ah, Lady Kaede? Yes, she's awake." One of the nurses led me down the hall while staring at the bow and arrows.

"For how long already? Is she stable?" I asked.

"During surgery, we applied sutures on her wound to hold the body tissue together. She should be fine for now but it's advised that Lady Kaede shouldn't move around for awhile. However, it's a different story if intend for her to continue her duties." The nurse made a static expression without moving a muscle on her face.

Maybe it was her warning as a nurse to not overwhelm Kaede, especially in the state that she is in now.

"I'm not as sadistic as you think I am." I sighed, "it would be inhumane to make her run along into combat in the condition that she is in. Rest assured, she'll continue to stay here until the ruckus is over."

"Very well." The nurse was pleased with my response, "unlike a certain general we know and loath." She bit her bottom lip and held in some kind of torturous thought.

Once we made it, she opened the door where Kaede was staying. "I'll leave the two of you alone."

"Karasuma?"
Kaede was laying down with white patches on her cheek and grabbed the bed sheets rather aggressively.

"I'm glad you're doing well." I said walking towards her but first placing the bow on the chair and quiver leaning on the wall. Kaede glanced at them and then she closed her eyes.

"I'm sorry-." Her apology began to run down her cheeks and she bit her lower lip to restrain herself. "I messed up again."

"Saying things like that." I sighed and patted her hand, "let me see." I stared at her torso.

"Looks like I'm not going to get married anytime soon with this." Her smile was harsh as she lifted the covers to the side.

I examined her wound attentively because back at the garden where the after-party was held, there was so much blood that it was difficult to see how grave her wound was actually.
And to my dismay, it was worse than I thought. The wound started at her collar bone, the sutures snaking down her body where the cut was deeper, ending half-way on the thigh.

"They gave me painkillers." She spoke, "but somehow, I can feel it anyways."

"You're going to be fine regardless. Simply, a personal souvenir to take back home."

"Your jokes are the worst Karasuma." She frowned while slightly chuckling. "So, what's the current situation? I heard some nurses talking before about-."

"It's a coup, no doubt about it. The Crowns are are conferencing with the Queen as we speak, though with how things are..." I paused, "they're all in danger."

"W-What?!" Kaede tried to get up by I immediately stuck out my arm to stop her. "What the hell are we here for then?"

"Calm down. You'll be staying here and recovering, I'm heading over to the palace now." I said.

"No! I'm coming too!" She refused with exasperation, "you shouldn't have come to check up on me. Their lives are our priority and the fact that you came to check up on me-."

Kaede covered her face and I knew she had the urge to scream but she didn't. With the disappointment brewing in her eyes she spoke,

"why?"

"Why? It's simple really." I responded, "you're my responsibility and if you die here, I will never forgive myself." I confessed, "call it unprofessional but those are my ideals."

"You're creepy when you're nice." She pouted, "just go already. They need you." Kaede shooed me away, "but for me, I could never forgive myself if Karma and Nagisa died because of my mistakes. I wouldn't be able to live with it."

"Rest assured, those two are special. You and I both know they don't give up so easily." I headed towards the door, "and don't you dare think about leaving in the condition that you're in."

"Well, I can't promise anything now can I? You can't teach an old dog new tricks, right?" Kaede commented.

"I'm afraid not." I replied while closing the door behind me but before I did I left her with a few last words. "You know, it's not a sin to sit back sometimes and rely on others to finish the job."

She didn't say anything in response and I took it as her answer.
I headed down the halls and eventually outside where the horse was waiting by the post. Immediately, without taking another detour, I rushed towards the palace.
From the lower view I had, it looked peaceful, like nothing was happening there.