35 | Trial

<Nagisa>
By the next morning we all convened in the royal court house in the western side of Perennial Rose, the capitol. From the palace, it took about forty-Five minutes by carriage.

The tall bricked mass with the stone white goddess that wore a blindfold, a sword in one hand and a balance in the other. She was the embodiment of the courthouse itself, the greatest epitome of justice and punishment.
If you lie, you are doomed.

Both Karma and I sat amongst other officials in the balcony seats, which was south of where the criminal would stand. Asano's position faced the head judge, and on both sides, two other justices of lower caliber but equal power sat beside.

It was open seating for all the kingdom. And it immensely packed that not all people could fit in the spacious building.
But when more things like this happens, the amount of interest will kindle down as the years go on. This is just the first, so obviously anyone would want to see us in this state.

"Settle down." The appointed main judge called out with his gabble. "The accused has already been arrested and guilty for treason against the Queen. Sentences will be announced today, on behalf of the King."

Previously Karasuma instructed me to agree with the matter that it was treason. I was not in danger of sorts to be murdered, but in my case it was rape. He did not want the local newspapers to highlight as erroneous and unexpected as it is, thus he will be punished for treason as an accessory for the crime. Whereas the others will face harsher dues.

"For the press that are here today. Any who twists the word of law in attempts to threaten the state of one or all, will be subjected to imprisonment of misinformation." One of the standing court officials relayed the regulations and rules, as an audience of the court.

Irina was on the lower levels with Karasuma and other members of the royal family. The Queen and King themselves were present in the balcony across from us, but the red drapes covered their faces. However everyone knew that they were there.

Karma stood up and patted my shoulder. The confident expression he wore like he was telling me, to leave it to him.
I looked back over to current crowns as the king nodded his towards me. So I did the same.
•••••••
<Karma>
I stood in front of the three judges, while I faced Asano himself. He wasn't afraid, nor was he nervous. He knows that I wouldn't sentence death upon him. But he doesn't know what else I can take away. His pride? Social status? His family?
No. I'm not so evil that I wouldn't resort to that. However he did harm Nagisa and I cannot forgive that.

"The heir to the crown. King Akabane." The judge filled the courthouse with his boisterous voice, seeping into every nook and cranny that shook the structures.

"My dear subjects." I started. "You are well aware of the newspapers that swarmed around the kingdom many months back. I'm grateful that the incident didn't turn into mere rumors that challenged the face of the kingdom."

I looked out to my left and to my right. Then directly Asano. The oblivion in his misty eyes.

"When my time comes to sit on the thrown, I want to lead with example. By doing so, I must start now. I will not proceed with the death sentence. Therefore I will do the following."

The palace guards placed his family emblem crest from his shirt, onto the table in front of me. The glimmering power it possessed. It will no longer shine.
I made eye contact with his father in the seats to the left. He was cool with his leg crossed over the other, patiently waiting.

"Gakushū Asano. From this day onwards, you'll permanently lose your seat in the noble council. Which will restrict you from further participation in the welling being of the kingdom. Secondly, half of the land you inherited will be controlled by the kingdom to their own use."

The crowd stared to murmur, but it was inevitably to come. I could see his father, masking the anger residing within him a smile. In short I did just nullify his nobility and privileges, least most of them.

"Before you send your curses. I would like to warn you once more." I raised my chin to Asano. "If you ever dare to lay a hand on the next Queen. You'll surely face a much more grave punishment. I stand before you here and now. If you dare, then you'll be terminated of your nobility title and excommunicated. From this Kingdom. I promise you that I will."

<Nagisa>
I swallowed back hard from Karma's words. The people around me gasped and were instilled with sudden fear. To which it was just as worst, as the death penalty. For a noble to be stripped of their title and banished, kills the pride and honor, just as it kills the heart with a single sword.

Fruitless as it was, I would expect that Asano wouldn't try to provoke him anymore. That goes for anyone in the kingdom who would try to challenge Karma.

But the entirety of it was shameful for his father too. The fact that Asano lost his privilege to the noble council, means that either his Asano senior would have to rejoin, or he'll have to bear another child in the family to take his place. Ultimately placing their family at a disadvantage. Though knowing Asano senior, his reappearance will defiantly shake the structure of the council. But that power was meant for his son to take on...not anymore.

The judge with the rock wood gable struck into the plate of the table.

"Of the power invested in the royal court. I hereby execute the penalty against Asano Gakushū." He exclaimed to the entire court. "Dismissed!" He ended the event with three consecutive bangs with the gable and the court was released.

On my way out with Karasuma and Irina, I was distracted by the presence of both Asano senior and Karma talking alone together. I tread further out of sight to listen in.

"My King, that was wrongly harsh. You intended to tame me as well." He spoke to Karma.

"I do hope you understand that it's the only way to subdue him. Especially knowing your reaction, I know that you'll discipline him your own way. Don't take it to heart, you're still the prosperous sword-making family in the entire kingdom, do not fear it. You must keep your enemy close, but weak." Karma explained.

Asano senior sighed with the devious smile he always uses to express his hidden emotions.

"You both were such good lads growing up. I wonder why your friendship ruptured like so. Quite pitiful I must say my King." Asano senior brought up.

"People change." Karma lastly said and they both shook each others hands and walked their own separate ways.

That was when Karma set his eyes upon me. There was no use in trying to lie about eavesdropping to him.

"Nagisa."

He walked over and gleamed. Happy but sad. Relieved but stressed. I could tell by how he said my name aloud.
It must of been difficult for him to do that to Asano, when they were close when they were younger. But the power given to us is hope, but a weapon to maintain peace and uphold justice in the kingdom.

What we make of ourselves now, we will surely lose something dear to ourselves in the future.
At little bit of life, and a little bit of who we are.

"Shall we head back to the palace?" He asked, reaching out for my hand.

The people who were still lingering around us stopped and stared. Silence filled the air and I took Karma's warm hands, grasping tightly.

"Yeah, let's go back home."