67 | Death Letter

<Karma>
All of a sudden there was a loud clatter and shouting beyond the doors. And my own instincts told me to act now!

I placed my hand on the knob but Ritsu swatted my hand away with her hand on the door, gesturing for me to stay out.

"You want to die?" She asked, reminding me that I shouldn't get involved. "Don't you remember what your lover said?" She raised a brow.

"That doesn't matter. Move aside or I'll have that hand." I threatened.

"Hahaha, say it more seriously. Then maybe I'll actually be scared, you know?" She blocked off the door with her body and snapped her fingers.

Within seconds, coming from left and right around the corners of the church, were other mercenaries with swords and weapons.

"To think you would help us so willingly." I unsheathed my sword and pointed it at her.

"You wouldn't, I know you wouldn't." She extended her arm and touched the side of my face.

"And why is that?" I questioned.

"Because I know you don't kill innocently without a just reason. You're mishandling the situation right now, my King. We're here to make sure Lady Shiota gets what she wants-."

I thrusted the sword into her abdomen and she staggered forward with blood spewing of out her mouth and gushing from her body.
Her eyes were wide with animosity and hostility that she tried to raise her arm to grab something from her pockets.

But I returned the sword and slashed down on her neck. Within seconds her body collapsed on the ground motionless.

"It's not that simple but if something were to happen to Nagisa, I must bare my fangs."

I walked down the three steps and raised my sword at the entire group of people who just witnessed what I just did. Their souls burned with bloodlust and I motioned my hand.

"Come get me if you can."
•••••••••
<Nagisa>
I laid Mamoru's head on my thighs while he coldly stared at the ceiling of the church building, blue skies with white fluffy clouds and angels flying.

"Mamoru! Stay with me!" I said while putting pressure around his wound and the dagger still lodged in his chest.

If anything worried me the most, it was carelessly doing something that would end Mamoru's life in an instant. And if I pull out the dagger, he'll die of blood loss.

"S-sorry I was a little rough with you." He said while he blankly stared up and apologized for when he pushed me out of the way.

"What are you talking about!?" I said with my heart crushing in desperation. "Y-you, why?!"

"Who else?" He questioned, "you're my...m-my little brother after all." He responded.

"I'm fine on my own." I said with tears slowly streaming down my cheeks and onto the cold floors, some landing on Mamoru's cheeks too.

He slowly raised his hand and placed it on top of mine loosely, while my hands were making sure that he wouldn't bleed out quickly.

"No you weren't." He exposed me, "there's only so much I can do." He added.

"You're an idiot..." I conveyed, "but thank you for protecting me." I poured every spec of gratitude and appreciation I could muster into my words.

When I thought I was fighting this world alone with only Karma at my side, I forgot about the soul who fought quietly for me when I was younger.
He said nothing and needed not to be recognized.

"At least one of us....must-" Mamoru coughed up more blood and groaned a bit.

"Mamoru!"

"One of us has to spoil the chance of freedom." His gaze started to glaze over like the wave of the sea, while his life began to slip away. "Aika..."

And I knew by then that his cold white hands, could never be warmed again. I silently sobbed out with my chest aching in torment.

My hands trembled shut Mamoru's eyes lid, sealing them as the last sight before he passed was the peaceful illusion.

"I'm sorry Mamoru..." I apologized with a broken whisper, "I'm sorry."

"This can't be happening."

I brought up my blurry gaze to see my mother retreating back with confusion. Her frightened look on her face with a mix of happiness.

"Wake up Mamoru." She said.

"He's dead..." I carefully laid his head on the ground and stood up to face her. "You killed him."

"No! No I didn't! He ran in and got himself hurt!" She went on her knees and crawled over to Mamoru's body, touching his arm and shaking him.

"Wake up, wake up." She ordered with utter paleness. "Stop that now, you're making your mother worry." She added.

"Mother." I said.
She frantically looked up.

"This was Mamoru's answer. Things didn't need to become like this, but you backed him into a corner. And for him, he wanted you to acknowledge his life." I explained, "but you couldn't."

"Nagisa dear..." She started to pull on Mamoru's sleeve, "tell your brother to stop playing around. Your mother doesn't take jokes too well. Go on, I know he only listens to you."

I bit my lower lip and reached behind, grabbing an arrow from my quiver. My head screamed mercy and pity, but my heart told me that even for her, that was not possible.

At the same time, I grabbed my bow.
My mother shockingly got up from the ground and stepped away from Mamoru. She placed her hands up, fearfully looking at me.

Even though I've always wanted her to look at me like the son I was, the one who she gave birth to, I didn't want her first time to be an imagine of me pointing a weapon at her.

"Mother. You know that I can never hate you. But these flaming emotions of anguish and detest are real. You're a nightmare of a woman who ruined both of your son's lives and the family." I pulled the bow back onto the strings and rested the feathered end on my cheek. My aim was towards her heart.

"N-Nagisa, put that down! It's dangerous!" She shouted, "you don't know what you're doing!"

I tried to smile but even I couldn't in front of my mother who completely broke with her personalities.

"Mother, this is because I love you." I released my grip and the arrow soared, slicing the air and impaling my mother in the chest.

She struggled to maintain her balance and lost her footing; she fell back entirely and slammed onto the hard floor.

Even I lost the feelings in my leg and collapsed on my knees beside Mamoru who was laid to rest.
I screamed. But it was silent. Or maybe it wasn't and I was in reality crying out in disgust that my hands are now stained with the blood of my own mother.

What a cruel...cruel joke.
And I thought we could actually become a family.