64 | Garden of Eden

<Nagisa>
Despite seeing Karma's many expressions over the course of our time together, this one particularly sank my heart into oblivion.
His eyes sparkled from the tears he was trying to hold back. And I found it amusing that we was overwhelmed by not knowing what to do.

I wrapped my hand on the back of his neck and pulled him towards down me.
All I know for a fact is that I've truly missed him when I was alone in Yua's world.

Our lips touched and it was sad to say, that in the moment that I forgot how sweet and soft they were. But at the same time the feeling was still there. No matter how many times I've run away from this fate, I love Karma.

"Why why didn't you come for me sooner?" I choked back on my words as I caressed his hair. He closed his eyes as he held my hand tightly.

"Not even an apology of any sorts could tell you how much I did wrong. I'm despicable, I've failed you Nagisa." He spoke softly.

"Karma, don't say that." I said, "look at you with the bags under your eyes. Very off-putting if I do say so myself." I tried to lighten up the mood that was casted into bleakness.

Karma helped me back up onto my feet. I glanced around my surroundings to notice that we were outside, following the road to the next town.

"So it's true? That my mother is behind all of this?" I asked him.

Karma nodded his head.

"I'm afraid so." He took my hand and held it, "What will you do?" He questioned.

I sighed and shook my head.
"I'm not sure myself. She is the woman who carried me and birthed me into this world. Even though I've lived chained to her, I don't know what I should do." I explained.

"Whatever you decide to do, I'll follow you." Karma assured, "so don't think that you're fighting this alone."

I smiled from his ensuring words.

"We should regroup with everyone else. I think it's best that they know that you're back." He suggested.
"No, it's fine." I assured, "we can't risk the man-hunt just because I'm back." I spoke, "so let's hurry and find my mother."

Needles poked me everywhere on my body. I found it strange how my body was abnormally acting just now. Maybe i'm getting adjusted for not being conscious for quite some time.

"You alright?" He placed his hand on my shoulder, "you can rest before we go."

"No, I shouldn't be." I shook my head as we mounted our horses, "we have a kingdom to save." I reminded him.

"We do indeed, don't we?" He grinned and we went on our way down the road.
•••••
<Mamoru>
With the kingdom in high alert, I could only ask Aika what was happening. When she hesitated to tell me, I knew very well that it was something far from good.

"I really can't believe she would do such a thing." I responded dumbfounded, "I can't help but to think that this is my fault."

I glanced over at Aika who was red, holding back what seemed to be anger as she pouted.

"So you regret running away with me?" She said embarrassed by how selfish she sounded. But I knew too well that she was very insecure at the moment.

"No. That's not what I meant Aika." I reached for her hand and she sat down. "I don't regret it one bit. It's just that, this is partially my fault because it's my mother we are talking about." I explained.

"It only means she loves you dearly, doesn't it?" She spoke quietly.

"No. It's far from love at this point. But I wouldn't know anyhow. Both Nagisa and I never grew up with that kind of maternal affection. If anything, it's obsession." I corrected.

We both sat silently while the day was draining, the sun on the verge of setting. I must make this right even if Nagisa is not here, I have to step up don't I? I can't afford to sully our name either because of my mother's ill actions.

Even if it means...losing my most precious someone. I can't possibly think of a life that would make Aika and I both happy. We've only seen how synthetic our lives could be.

"Aika. I love you." I said.

"I love you too Mamoru." She started to whimper with her tears streaming down her beautiful face.

She came in and hugged me tightly and whispered into my ears.

"Whatever you decide, I'll support you." She added.

"Thank you and I'm sorry." I apologized with myself who also started getting emotional from her despondent sight.

"Stop if you cry, I won't be able to stop myself." She wiped her tears away, ruining the light make-up on her face. It started to smudge in some places, but that didn't matter to me.

"Hey, Aika?" I said to get her attention.

"Yes?"

"Before I go, can you sing me that song? The one I heard the first time I met you?" I stared into the wonders of her eyes, like stars that will never die.

"Of course." She smiled and fixed herself.

And the muse of our past, gradually and wistfully swept us away.
•••••••••
<Karma>
Not before long, we made it to Iris. There were already knights stationed around and on the look-out. Many of them held posters of Hiromi, Shiota's face, asking locals about any information they could provide.

When I looked to make sure Nagisa was okay, I knew he wasn't confident in this man-hunt. Even for me, it was hard enough that family was involved, making the situation more intense.
This must be settled quickly and without violence.

"Nagisa, are you sure okay with this?" I asked again, despite already talking to him about it.

He doesn't need to comply to any of this he doesn't have to lie about his feelings. If he can't let go of the mother that has shunned him, I can't force him.

"Again with that. Karma I-."

"My King!"

Our heads clocked back and we saw someone riding a horse, galloping towards us at full speed. Eventually we were able to put a face to the rider, it was Mamoru!

"Whoa, there." His horse slowed down while it came up to us and ours. "Glad I was able to catch up to you guys." He said with a smile and bandages still wrapped around his arms.

"M-mamoru! What are you doing here! And while you're still injured!" Nagisa's voice stuttered as he was surprised by his sudden appearance.

"Nagisa it's you isn't it?" Mamoru sighed in relief and started to chuckle, "how dare you not visit me."

"W-what?" Nagisa responded confused.

Mamoru looked at me and snickered. More like a joke between us when Yua, herself, refused to go see him.

"Never mind that. Why did you leave the palace? You're in no condition to-."

Mamoru shook his head before I could finish my sentence.

"What? I'm in no condition to do what's right? My King, my deepest apologies but in the end, underneath the thick skin, it's a family matter, is it not?" Mamoru gazed over at Nagisa who had also agreed with a faint smile, even though he didn't say anything.

Nagisa also bowed his head to me and Mamoru followed.

"Please let us handle it."