09 | Ruler of the Heart

<Nagisa>
When the palace guards trampled there way into town, the ruckus surely caught the attentions of so many people. The Knights managed to shield the incident and block out on lookers.
I was waiting besides Karma as they arrested Asano had his lackies. Asano brought his gaze towards mine and it ended with that. I let out a loud sigh and Karma tilted his head. That was when Irina burst out of no where and poked my forehead.

"You're a troublesome Queen, you know that?" She screamed with a whisper. Irina folded her arms and pouted her lips, "do you not know how to keep a low profile?"

"Ahem." Karasuma cleared his throats to remind Irina that she wasn't simply just speaking to just anyone.

"I apologize for my rather rude manner, but am I the only one who's taking this seriously?" She flailed her arms.

Both Karma and I looked at each other and the humor within us just sparked. It was a warm feeling that I took pleasure to. I hate to admit it, but Karma really did save me there. I guess I'm in his debt?
But part of me didn't want to make it so simple.

"So what is going to happen to those guys?" Karma didn't look so sure of the fate in which Asano and his lackies were heading towards. If I could sum it up, it would be instant death. Possibly execution, in a fancier term.

"Isn't it written all over the situation?" Irina scrunched her face, confused that he even had to ask. "They've committed a treason and they'll be executed. Is quite simple."

"E-excuse me?" Karma looked surprised by her words and shook his head, "I understand that Nagisa's wellbeing was threatened however, I can't just brush this incident away with death as an answer." Karma disagreed. "It's not simple at all."

Huh? Isn't death inevitable? I inched a little back from Karma and stood closer to Karasuma. I didn't know why I did. Karasuma looked down at me with indifference. He didn't looked convinced either.

"May we ask why?" Karasuma questioned.

"What is power, if we expose it to the world with punishments like death? No one was killed, so why must a life be taken?" Karma argued.

He did have a solid point. The idea of it actually slipped through my mind. It's so common that execution solved almost every crime but, I wasn't killed so I get why Karma is upset.
Both Karasuma and Irina were stumped on his speech too. If it came down to it, Karma words were practically law. It soon will be too.
He was fixated on justice and power used for the good of the people however, not everyone is kind like you Karma.

In which that...is your weakness. However, I know that now, you're actually a kind man.
•••
Back at the palace, I was taken to the royal medic and they treated me there. At first glance of my cuts and bruises, some of the female doctors fell into tears.
This body is just a capsule. Think nothing of it. That was what I said to myself.

Some cuts were treated with stitches and the rest weren't so bad. They cleaned me all up and I was escorted back to my chamber by Irina. Her mind was occupied about the conversation we had before.

"So what will really happen to them?" I spoke.
Irina stopped her in tracks and shifted her eyes away and towards the giant glass stained window.

"If Karma manages to request the audience of King and Queen. They'll consider his words. Whatever happens then, is done." Irina continued forward down the hall and I followed behind. It was obvious that she disliked how Karma thought of the situation.

What really came down to it was, all of them never considered my position. I was the one defiled by those men. I was the one who was manipulated and walked upon like trash. Those guys done it to so many other people too...what about what I want? Will I get justice?

I opened the door and Irina bowed her head. She walked along the right side of the hall and kept on in the direction of where the chamber was and disappeared beyond the corner.

"Nagisa."

I jumped and saw Karma sitting on the cushioned chair besides the table. He had his leg over his knee and sat very comfortably.

"Have you no shame?"

"We're both males, aren't we?" Karma uncrossed his legs and stood up. "How are your injuries? Do they hurt?"

He came close to touching my shoulder, but I stepped back. His arm loosely hanging in the air and he dropped it back by his side.

"I'm fine." I assured, "I wasn't stabbed by a sword or anything." I reminded him.

"Right." He said.

"So? Why have you come to see me? Surely you came here with different motives." I tried to expose him and he chuckled to himself.

"Is it wrong to be worried?"

Karma had a devastated expression on his face. Almost suffering in a way, I couldn't describe.
I feel as if I'm the one, whose causing him pain.

"Are those your true feelings?" I questioned. "I don't want you to feel sorry for me, if those aren't your feelings towards me." I rejected.

There should be no affection, we made that deal.
Karma hung his head down and I could sense how defeated he was. He was tired and I could see it in his soul, not the King's.

"Why must you test me?" Karma came towards me and hung his head on my shoulder and laid it there. I didn't move nor did I tried to shake him off.

"Because I'm done, having people not look at me. They only idolize me because I'm the reincarnation of the Queen. No ones sees me as me...not even once by my own parents." I confessed.

Karma raised his head and locked his eyes onto mine.

"I'm looking at you. Not as the Queen...but as Nagisa." He said, "what I feel here." He placed his hand on his chest, "are my feelings. Not the King's." Karma took my hand and held it tightly. "Sometimes I wonder what life would be like...if this barrier never existed."

I often told myself not to get hung up about this life, Karma and I would have to stride towards. He and I are just unlucky aren't we? The responsibilities and expectations that we will carry, burdens, and even death.
Even with those sweet words, I'm still unconvinced.
But those barriers you speak of Karma, is it the reincarnation...or is it the gender?