95 | S2: King of The Moon

<Karma>
Once we identified that it was Kaede who was suddenly attacked, she was rushed to the closes hospital in town. Obviously, such a commotion did cause an issue with the locals who thought a killer was on the loose.

From the garden, we never left her side and that meant Karasuma too who felt guilty. I don't know what happened to Kaede before this happened but this incident was brimming with a declaration of war. I think that's the fear the locals began to possess when they heard that a foreign guests was severely injured.

In private quarters of the hospital, multiple knights guarded the area and only let doctors and nurses in along with us. However, in order not to get in their way, we stayed outside the room until they said it was fine to enter.

"My apologies, I should of insisted to keep the both of us together on duty, when arrangements were made." Karasuma bowed his head more lower than he usually does.

"It's alright, you're not to blame. This was unpredictable for all of us." Nagisa tried to comfort the blame he set upon himself. "She'll be okay." He assured.

"The question is who attacked Kaede. And why didn't someone else see her sooner?" I brought up, "and why her."

"What if-." Nagisa stopped short and held his hand tightly together, "never mind."

"At this rate, everyone is a suspect. Until we find the culprit, we can't trust anyone." I explained quietly and they nodded their heads, "not even the Queen."

I didn't think it would be hard for me to disregard all the kindness Manami has blessed us with but due to the fact that Kaede was injured severely here, we know that we have enemies.

"Your majesties." A nurse who wore an all white dress and apron was covered in blood. "We are currently still treating her but because of major blood loss, she's in critical condition." She bowed her head.

"Is she conscious?" I asked.

"I'm afraid not. My superior has advised me to tell you that you cannot enter until then." She spoke.

"That's absolutely fine. Just please, save her." Nagisa words were calmly relayed but I knew that he was in a state of instability. Those guys have been closer than ever and to have Kaede life slip through the gaps of our fingers, I don't know how we would be. How Nagisa would react.

Then, another nurse came out of the room with gloves on and her apron was also stained with blood. She called the nurse we were talking to, to come back in.

"What should we do then? If we can't trust anyone anymore then how are we supposed to find out what happened to Kaede?" Nagisa tugged on my sleeve. "Can we even trust the people here?"

"If these esteemed doctors and nurses have any humanity within themselves, they wouldn't steal a life." Karasuma spoke, "let's believe that they'll do the right thing."

I nodded my head and placed my hand on Nagisa's shoulder.

"We'll just figure it out on the way. The fact that the culprit was hostile and violent, the one who hurt Kaede will eventually confront us." I explained, "so Nagisa, don't leave my side."

He hesitantly agreed, not because he didn't want to but because he was also afraid of what lied before us.
I glanced over at Karasuma who was carefully ingraining every word I said in his brain, finding his own commands to motivate him even greater.

"It's horrible for me to say this but if you intend to find the culprit as soon as possible, you'll need to be vulnerable." He said, "The likelihood of confronting them is slim if I'm around." Karasuma glanced around the building, "but again, it's all up to you and I will serve without question."

"It's the only choice." I sighed and looked out the window and into the blue skies, "I need a messenger bird."

"I will obtain one from our ship." Karasuma spoke, "a warning to the crew members as well?"

I thought for a bit before I answered confidently. How will this all play out? I can't afford to put the sailors or even the captain in danger if this turns out to be a greater threat.
I swallowed back and began to wonder if it would be in our best interest to send them back home first and have them send reinforcements.

Ah, but that would take four to five days for help to come. We really cornered ourselves in this one didn't we?
Can we afford to wait? Kaede won't be able to recover in time and knowing that she's in critical condition will put her in danger if we leave Scienion right away.

"My King?" Karasuma called me.

Without trying to reveal how stressed I really was thinking over the situation, I finally came to a conclusion.
I don't know if it will be alright in the end, but my goal is to leave Scienion without any casualties.

"First the messenger bird, then tell the captain to depart from the port. Tell them to go back home." I commanded.

"Leave? Then we'll be stranded here." Nagisa pointed out.

"He's right." Karasuma agreed with Nagisa, "do you really undervalue your lives?"

"That's not it at all. It's obvious that I would want us all to head back home but it's not possible with Kaede's condition. She needs to be treated here and if we do leave, then we won't know whether or not Scienion is a threat. We don't even know if it's just warmongers or the royal family themselves!" I explained, "if we leave now, we risk everything."

"If you think it's the best course of action, then I'll comply." Karasuma bowed his head and I waited for Nagisa to reply.

"If it's what best for all of us." Nagisa also decided to go along with my plan. "But in the meantime, we have to speak with Manami. I still think that she is innocent."

"Of course, we'll have to have a conference with her very soon." I responded, "Karasuma, you can go first."

"Yes, My King." He bowed his head again, "please stay safe." He looked at both of us before he left.

Once Karasuma disappeared around the corner, I turned over to Nagisa.

"You did end up packing your quiver correct?" I wanted to make sure, "your swordsmanship is commendable but I know you favor your bow, start carrying that around too."

"Yes, of course." His words stumbled, "this is really happening, isn't it?"

I dropped my arms to my side and stared back at the door where they were treating Kaede. I didn't think that such an event would occur, quite similar to what happened with Nagisa's mother.
However, as Roka and Yua had warned us so long ago, there will be destruction.

I opened my mouth, "I'm afraid so."