23 | Execution

<Nagisa>
Two days after I had spoken to the little girl, the time had come for the public execution. It was held at the Royal execution site that sat on a ledge of a cliff. Such that rocks were stoned down flat enough for the bodies, for any position to be killed, as well as once finished, the bodies would be thrown into the sea. Grinding into the rocky bottom and washed away by the violent waves.

An immense crowd of townsmen and villagers from the outskirts were present to witness it. I had heard from Irina that the current Queen and King were going to make an appearance. But she was unsure if they would really come.

"Nagisa, this way." Karasuma motioned his hand and I snapped out of my thoughts and walked over to the stone where Takaoka will place his head.

Karma and I both wore our decorated uniforms, with his hair gelled back freshly and his white gloves he wore screamed refined and purity. At the same time, it was grey outside, lightly drizzling.

Before we knew it, the ironed carriage had arrived that had taken Takaoka from the dungeons to his lowly fate here. The crowd snickered and booed at Takaoka as he made his way to the stone, us on the execution ledge.

As Takaoka walked passed me, with his head hanging loosely, I saw a slight grin appear. Does he intend to take this to his grave? I could almost feel pity but at the same time, it would be very uncalled for. He was worn down with cuts and bruises, some seemed recent.

I tensed up as I saw Karma patting my shoulder. The crowd got silent as I stood beside Karasuma and Irina, as Karma made it over to the stone.

Irina took my hand quietly and held it tightly. I could sense how she wasn't ready this either.
It was when we were heard a second wave of galloping horses, all decorated with white and colors those of the palace. The delicate colors that covered the carriage, it was the current King and the Queen.

"So it appears that they did have time." Irina spoke softly. The windows of the great carriage opened and two hands stuck out to wave.

The ones who gathered all bowed down and the so did Irina and Karasuma.
Both Karma and I were about to go down as well, but Karasuma gestured his hand as it wasn't appropriate for us to do so. So I bowed only my head and I felt that they noticed.

Despite them not coming out, Karasuma's loud bark initiated the execution. Drums were banged loudly as ever and a few of the palace guards, highly ranked stood one by one, side by side.

Karma unsheathed the execution sword, with jewels embedded within the handle. The blade itself spotless and clean. As if it had never cut anyone down before.

As Karma was about to speak, the drumming quieted down, but did not cease completely.
Karma did not look over, but I could tell that he wanted to. He masked his true face, that of a intimidating King. His eyes losing its humanity.

"Subjects...today we are gathered to put an end to a formidable threat of the Crown and Kingdom. It is erroneous to think that such a man would be lingering without going unnoticed amongst the Royal knights. It's rather infuriating to know how close such a character was to the Crown. Let me say that his deeds won't ever be forgiven, for he has harmed others, including the reincarnated Queen."

Karma's voice was clear and strong, as everyone was well engaged with his words.

"Any last words? Takaoka Akira?" Karma steadied his grip on the sword and raised it high in the air, holding still until he finished talking.

"This kingdom will fall!"

The moment Karma swung downwards, to the crowd of people cheering to be liberated from the darkness upon them, it was utterly silent for me. I stood there still, watching as Karma had cleanly decapitated Takaoka. His neck bloodied and the entirety of it, rolling down on the ground. The body laid lifeless like a puppet and the two knights grabbed one of the arms. Following Karma as he held the head in his hand.

I felt sick to my stomach on such a sight. It was enough to make me feel uneasy and want to look away but I couldn't. Even Irina who I suspected to have taken an ill sight to it, kept her head high. I respect how strong she is, something that I need more exposure of. Reality.

The drums hammered and smashed again in a rhythmic beat, all synchronized and arms moving at the same time.
The three of them walked to the ledge and paused. Karma turned around again and my body automatically advanced forward. With a slight catch Karma noticed me, at the same time Karasuma with his quick reflexes held on to my arm.

"This moment shall be ever engrained either for the good or bad of this kingdom, it is done." Karma releases his grip of Takaoka's head and it initially fell to the greatest depths before sinking into the waves below.

Next was the unruly body of his and they threw it over the ledge and you had to remain silent to hear the crash.

The stone where Takaoka was decapitated to death, with lit on fire as a tradition for execution ceremonies. It would stay lit until it goes out itself and smother it into nothing. As I learned through lessons at the palace this was the way King Ruka had disposed of that psychotic King Kirai, a sinister man that used to own the thrown, surrounded by his own family and subjects.
It's been that way ever since.

The execution ended and everyone paid their respects to Karma and some gathered around me. Even the current Crowns rode away in their carriage until we could no longer hear the rattling, nor the clapping of the horse shoes.

Now it was just us four, with Karma still looking over the edge. I excused myself from Karasuma and Princess Irina to accompany Karma.

When I did, I glanced over to see what he was watching. The waters below was reddening darkly in one area, then spreading out with a lighter hue. His body was nowhere to be seen.

I took my right hand and slowly reached for Karma's left hand. He noticed that I was trying to comfort him, but I guess he really didn't need it.
Instead, Karma finally raised his head and looked out into the horizon.

He closed his eyes and spoke.

"Auribus teneo lupum"

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes for a while, until I responded back.

"No matter what you choose, now to even the future, I'll be right next to you."