130 | S2: Flames of Nobility

<Yua's memories>
This mundane sight staring out the window had become my simple life in hiding. As each year slowly past, I wonder about the things I could do and become if I could just leave my story behind. But I cannot do such a dishonorable thing; I must carry this burden until I die.

Opening the hatch of the window, I peaked out and took a breath of fresh morning air. The kids in the area were already out playing games and the adults were out conversing.

KNOCK, KNOCK

"Good morning, Yua. You're up early." My older cousin walked through the doors with his hands behind his back.

"Yeah, the noise outside woke me up." I crunched the covers in my hands and pushed it slightly off my legs.

He slowly approached the bed with a blissful gleam and then all of a sudden he hopped on the bed and shouted.

"Happy 11th Birthday!" He wore an ear-to-ear smile and brought his hand in front of me with a small white box with a red ribbon.

"What's this Hatsuki?" I asked as I took it in my hands.

"You're birthday present of course. Sorry I couldn't get anything for you last year, but I was saving up for this. Thought it would be more special." He gleamed and waited for me to open it.

When I lifted the cover, inside was a silver-chained necklace with a blue-stoned crescent moon. Immediately, I burst with utter happiness and hugged him.

"I love it, it's beautiful." I carefully touched it and Hatsuki leaned closer in.

"Let me help you put in on." He insisted and I moved slightly to turn my back on him as he put the necklace on me.

"Thank you." I added, "I'll never take it off."

"You better not." He teased with a nudge, "spent the rest of my work money."

"You shouldn't have! Didn't you say you were saving up for a leather notebook?"

"It can wait. I have all the time later to write anyways." He chuckled and got off the bed with a arm stretch.

"I believe that Mom and Dad aren't home right now, right?" I wondered while touching the necklace dangling from my neck.

"Mom and Dad wanted me to wish you a happy birthday on their behalf. They're already gone for work at the shop but they said they want to celebrate tonight." He explained. "Don't be too sad about it."

"I can wait for tonight. It's far better than nothing and I'm grateful you guys are willing to celebrate it." I crawled out of bed.

"We're family! Of course we'll celebrate it you silly girl." Hatsuki patted my head. "How about we sneak out today and head to the markets?"

"Really!? Won't be get in trouble if your parents find out?" I quietly whispered.

"Not if they find out." Hatsuki pressed a finger to his lips, "come on, it will be okay. I promise Yua."

The brisk morning weather was slightly chilly but the sun was out to warm the flesh of our skins. I wore a simple dress made by Hatsuki's mother a while back and I made sure to tie up my hair and wear a scarf over.

"Are you ready? We'll only be out for a couple of hours, that's it okay?" Hatsuki patted my shoulder.

"It's enough time." I nodded my head, "I rarely get to go out anymore." I replied.

When we left the house, we made our way down the street and into the busy and crowded areas of town. There was children all around, playing, buying sweets like candy red apples, and shopping with their families.