131 | S2: Stone Garden

<Nagisa>
When I woke up this morning, I noticed the emptiness beside me. It was around six in the morning when I realized Karma wasn't in bed with me. That was when I remembered that he had to leave especially early in order to take the carriage down to Sage Hill to accompany Princess Irina with her diplomatic meeting with the Gaijins.

I reached out and felt the coldness, yet subtle warmth that was left behind. Though, the silk covers quickly wiped away the existence that was left of him.

"My sweet child."

I glanced over and leaned on my arms to see Yua sitting on the edge of the bed on Karma's side, in her white-frill nightgown.

"The moon is bright tonight, the kingdom is quiet, and I feel at peace." She spoke while brushing her long black hair behind her ear.

"Yua, are you alright?" I reached out to touch her shoulder but my hand slipped through as I was touching air.

"I'm afraid that my soul that is bound to the kingdom is gradually fading." Yua explained and walked towards the floor-to-ceiling window and slightly moved the curtain to the side.

"What do you mean?" I wondered as I sat up on the bed with concern. "Does that mean-."

"I'm not sure myself." She interrupted, "but I've been dreaming more, seeing my past life more than ever. I'm recalling them all, my time with all the previous Crowns before the both of you. Each and every one of them, I am remembering their names and stories so vividly now."

"Yua..."

"I never thought that I would be this fearful of my greater end. I find it melancholy, that's all." Yua came back to me and touched my face, her pale yet soft hands caressing my cheek gently.

After a while, Yua pulled her hand back and that was when she disappeared herself leaving a scent of camellia's behind.

The room was silent once more as the moon pierced through the space between where Yua had moved the curtains.

"I agree with you. It's quite peaceful indeed."
•••••
Later on in the morning, I was greeted by Kaede herself. She was dressed in her new uniform with that cheerful expression of hers as if she had nothing to hide.

"Things have settled down finally with the new members and relocations." She sighed while cracking her knuckles. "Today is my day off, care to join me?" She asked.

"I have nothing on my schedule so it would be lovely to join you on your day off." I nodded my head. "Especially, when the Princess has been drilling the wedding plans into our heads since last week."

"That's terrific!" She gleamed, "I'm heading to the Stone Garden. You must be stressed from all the details, it will be good to take a break."

"The museum in Wisteria Falls?" I questioned.

"Precisely." Kaede gave a thumbs up, "it's been awhile since I visited and I heard that there are new statues added last month. I finally have the time to go visit."

"I've only went once when my father when I was little so it would be nice to see the collection."

"Even better." Kaede nodded her head, "the town is about an hour and a half away from here so it would be best to take a carriage." She suggested.

"Let me guess, if you didn't invite me, it would of been horseback for you?" I slightly chuckled when Kaede nodded her head in embarrassment when I found her out.
•••••
On our way to the Wisteria Falls, the both of us were accompanied by a set of knights for our travel. Even when we arrived into town, the stationed knights in the area heard about our visit and guarded the exterior of museum when we entered.

Evidently, it created a loud fuss because the townspeople began to surround us to greet me. Before I entered, I did say hi to a few adults and children who were ecstatic and surprised to see me in town. Even Kaede was recognized by them and greeted her which made her very happy.

Once we entered the museum, apparently admission knew we were visiting today and closed access for the public until we were finished with our visit.

"Why do I feel like this was set up?" I scratched the back of my head as Kaede blissfully laughed.

"My apologies. I sent a messenger bird early this morning before I had asked you join me. I knew you would of said yes so I prepared in advanced." Kaede explained as we walked down the halls of the museum with two knights following us for security and waited at each door when we looked around.

The Stone Garden is a giant, three-floored museum in Wisteria Falls that include statues of the kingdom's well known and respected heros and people who have contributed vastly to the kingdom. The museum even has a joint flower garden behind it and it includes even more statues along with seating for the public.

In general, it was split up into four different halls to categorize the memorials. The first hall was filled with scholars, intellectuals, and historians. The second compromised of artists and musicians, those involved in aesthetics. Third included military officials, knights, and specialists. The outside garden was filled with statues of those who belonged to the church like priests, bishops, and nuns.

When we finally entered the the third hall, and she skimmed through until she stopped half-way through the exhibit.

I gradually made my way over after I finished acknowledging the statues and reading their plaques. Kaede was standing in front of a particular marbled-stoned statue of a woman posed with her left arm behind her back and sword in her other hand.

When I stood next to her, she let out a short sigh but smiled with ease. I could see that she was holding in some sort of gratifying emotion.

"Was this the reason why you wanted to visit the museum?" I read the name on the plaque and the following achievements.

While I did not know this name personally, in that moment I knew that the woman before us meant a whole lot to Kaede.

"Lady Azusa was my mentor when I was a child and today is her death anniversary." Kaede explained with a subtle gleam. "I know that visiting her grave would of been more adequate but for some reason this year, I wanted to see her."

"She must of had a great impact on you." I said and Kaede nodded her head in agreement.

"She taught me how to become more confident and stronger in order to protect those dear to me. If it weren't for her who reached out, I wouldn't have made it here nor have become the woman I am today."

"I don't hear much of your past Kaede, so I appreciate that you're sharing your memories with me." I patted her shoulder.

"Well, we have grown closer than ever. Plus, I feel like that I'll be at your side for a long time so it's essential that we truly get to know each other." Kaede reached out and held my hand.

"Even your past too, Nagisa. And even if they're troubling and harbor unwanted emotions, I want to understand them all. That goes for Karma as well so I hope you both will be okay with that." She added.

"Why of course." I nodded my head with a gleam, "it's not a problem at all."

Kaede looked behind us and remembered the knights guarding the doors. She quickly retreated her hands and placed them behind her. Then, she whispered when she leaned in.

"If we're not careful, we both could become the front page headline in the newspaper." She sighed.

"For what?" I asked. "What do you mean?"

"The Queen cheating on the soon-to-be husband, the great King, a week before their wedding with a simple woman from the military." Kaede's explanation threw me off-guard and she started to walk to the exit.

"I don't think something like that can happen. Why do you have such obscure ideas in your head?" I followed behind her until I made it to her side.

"Just teasing you, my Queen. Nothing more." Kaede giggled, "let's grab lunch in the garden, today is the perfect weather."

While many people come and go in my lifetime, it's hard to believe that I could meet someone like her. And I know I've said it numerous times before but sometimes I just have to keep repeating it because I'm still not used to this remarkable feeling.