122 | S2: Under the Moonlight

<Kaede: age 7>
"My, you're always watching from afar aren't you little one? Are you interested?"

I diverted my eyes off the predominantly male crowd that was training near our home in Iris. Often due to the immense numbers in our military, there would be no room at the special training grounds at the palace. The castles that were spread out across the kingdom had local sessions for boys that were working to become knights when they are older.

The specialist before me was Lady Azusa. I've never met her until now but I knew her name because the men she trained with would address her like so.

She was a tall woman with long light colored hair and her eyes were always closed. From the numerous times that I've visited these sessions, I speculated that she was blind.

"It looks like fun." I timidly answered and stood from where I was sitting to watch. I wish I could join them.

"I'm glad." She smiled, "why not join when selections come around next year?"

I shook my head and patted my dress down from the dirt that managed to get on it. The selections can come all they want, but I still wouldn't be able to join.

"My parents don't believe that women are as capable as men." I spoke, "plus, it's not ladylike." I said while staring at her face.

"I see. That's a problem now isn't it?" She giggled quietly and tapped the sheathed sword that was caused on her hip, "my parents and friends said the same thing but I did not let their hurtful words turn me away from what I wanted to do."

Even when she said that, it was no use for me.

"What is your name?" She held out her hand.

"Akari Yukimura." I spoke and grabbed ahold of it.

"How about watching us from a closer perspective, Akari? It must be straining for your eyes from over here."

I bit my lower lip and glanced behind me to hopefully not be seen by people I knew. I looked back at Lady Azusa and she waited for me.

"Yes, I would love to." I agreed with bottled excitement bubbling in my chest.

When I accompanied her onto the field, unarmored knights continued to implement drills for the trainees. There was an array of ages, from young to late teens. There was a few boys that looked around my age and one of them with blond and brown spiky hair caught my attention.

On short break, he noticed me and gathered two more of his friends. The strange boy pointed at me and they all began to laugh.

"Lady Azusa, who's that? You're daughter?" He spoke loudly which caught the attention of others.

"No, my little Hotaru is at home. She was watching you all train from other there." She pointed behind them.

Attentively gazing around, I noticed there Lady Azusa was the only female here. It's true that the military lacks gender diversity so I took step back to hide behind her.

"Boys, men?"

They all loudly shouted to her call and stood firm.

"Who can tell this little miss who I am?" She projected her voice and even the other knights were listening.

"You there." She called upon someone who looked like they were in their teens. He was standing in the front and I could see sweat trickling down his forehead.

"Lady Azusa is a specialist in swordsmanship and is the commander of this unit in the town of Iris." He said loud and clear; everyone nodded their heads.