28 | Fears Beyond the Cage

<Karma>
Around noon time, Karasuma had sent a messenger to me while I was in the study. In his grey prickly gloves, was a letter sealed with a red wax emblem. The Asano's Family emblem.

I carefully held the letter in my hand and nodded my head to thank the messenger. He bowed and went on his way.
I peeled the letter from where the seal was, by a little flap that was melted down by the wax. I pulled out the off white piece of paper and unfolded it.

To the Noble King Karma Akabane,
I send my regards to your wellbeing and good health at the palace. I am writing with the hopes of you, honorable King, to release our family's only son. I'm aware of the erroneous deeds he has committed and I apologize for his behalf. I meant to communicate with you sooner of this ordeal, but I too as a father wanted to punish my son and waited until now. However the days are escaping my King. I think it is time to release them. I know you to be reasonable. And if you are to further subject them to a prolonged order, I will respect it.

Sincerely Asano Gakuhō

"This is a predicament isn't it?" I sighed while placing the letter on the desk, away from my other pile of letters and documents mounted.

I really haven't been focused on that incident so very much, as Karasuma insisted that he would deal with it. I haven't once visited dungeon because of it.
Maybe I should repeal the current arrest for treason, that was heavily influenced by the current crowns themselves and many of the officials closely associated with them.

However it would be shameful of me to even say anything without getting the permission from Nagisa, because ultimately he was the one most affected by it.

Though it is my duty to at least make a presence and talk to Asano at least once...if not, the resentment he has towards me will only betray me later on. I can't afford to wait for the day he tries to get revenge.

I pulled out of my seat and took the letter with me on the way out. The two guards trailed behind me as I left the room. There quite presence almost felt like they weren't there at all, until I stopped.
The clinging of their swords against their armor clattered, as they stood still.

"I need the keys to the dungeon. Will one of you accompany me, and one send the message to Karasuma?" I asked.

"Yes! Of course my King." One of them loudly replied, his voice echoing through the halls.

By then the one who shouted jogged off to go notify Karasuma. The one who remained by my side had the keys dangling in his hand, ready to go.

"Before we go." I turned directly towards.
He stood firm, yet I could sense the fright in his eyes, even though he was a few years older than me.

"What I say and do, down there, must not be spoken of a second time. Are we clear?"

He nodded his head and bent down on one of his knees, his head hanging.

"Your wish is my command." He replied with a steady voice. He got back up and looked kind of relived. Maybe he realized by now that he is the one I'm relying on. Did he finally turn that fear into honor?

Well whatever it was, if it makes him less of a coward, then so be it.

"Come now, we must get going."
  ••••
By the time we got there, Sir Karasuma was already waiting for us at the front gate. He carefully watched me and sighed.

"I expected this." He said unfazed, "But I must say that you don't have to respect the content of the letter. Whatever you wish to do, can be done."
Karasuma opened the dungeon doors and followed in right after me.

"It's the least I can do." I replied, "besides, why should I punish the father, if the son is at fault?" I added.

"Ages ago, the whole family would of been-"

"That's history, and don't lump me in with those other kings in the past." I interrupted him, "I plan to justify my reasons."

Karasuma stayed silent after that comment. He held the metal lamp as we walked down the stone stairwell and into the one of the dungeon sectors. On both sides had ironed barred cells, lining next to each other. And we walked until we made it to Asano's cell.

"It's about time." Asano stood up, crossing his arms. "Thought that you already forgot about me Karma." Asano said with a scratchy tone.

I stared at the iron chains coiled around his wrist and one at the ankle. Though the one around the ankle was much wider and thick, with a key hole in the middle. His hair was nicely kept, but obviously one could tell that he's hasn't been sleeping in a proper bed. I checked him physically, well fit as before, and not much difference. Just the dark circles under his eyes, and the chapped lips, cracking. He looked very tiresome, but his eyes were limitless. You couldn't stare him in the soul, to tell what he is thinking.

"I apologize for that." I admitted my fault.

"It's like music to my ears." Asano chuckled, "the King himself apologizing to me? I would like to see you drop to you knees."

I raised a brow and Karasuma behind me cleared his throat very loudly. I could hear that he had unsheathed his grand sword.

"Enough of your jest. I'm here because your father has called for you back home." I explained.

"My father you say? That's quite unexpected. You of all people should know that. How did the letter sound? Did you pity him?" Asano came closer to the iron bars. "What are you trying to say?"

"Your wellbeing will be determined in due time. Once the Queen is able to come back to the palace, there will be a council meeting involving your father and many other officials. Your life will be written up from there." I took my hand and held one of the lateral bars.

"You're making me antsy you know." Asano drooped his eyes and sighed.

"Your dogs aren't in the same position as you, so you should be grateful." I said back.

"Those guys? To hell what happens to them. I can always train new ones." Asano spoke sadistically and quieter.

"I'll remember that." I turned around and gestured my hands to end the conversation. The guard that I had spoken to before bowed his head as I was going back upstairs, while Karasuma was behind me.

Eventually Karasuma handed the candle lit lamp to the guard and exchanged code with him. By then Karasuma took his leave and left me to head back to the study with the palace guard.

"My King, may I ask why you're giving the criminal back his freedom?"

"Who said that I was giving back his freedom?" I questioned, "it hasn't been determined yet, and the outcome won't be in his favor." I explained.

"I don't follow."

We made it back to the study and I opened the door, before I walked in I faced the palace guard who was quite serious about the topic. So I answered him.

"He may walk the streets again, but not as the same man he used to be."