31 | Beckoning Call

<Nagisa>
I felt bad that I had to take Aika away from the children she was with, but thanks to Hara, he was able to watch them until I finished with her.

"It's a pleasure to meet you." Aika bowed her head, while she was seated in front of me. "Your brother had spoken quite a lot about you." Her talking voice was as pleasant as when she was singing. Soft and very angelic.

"You know of the problem at hand?" I questioned.
She nodded her head, biting her bottom lip.

"Yes, yes I do." She answered. "I found it quite harsh for Mamoru to even send such an invitation."

Even I was surprised by that extra information. Who in the hell would send a wedding invitation in his position? Does he find it to be the only way to move on? How cowardly of him!

"I knew our love wasn't strong enough. I thought he would fight for me but he fell into the lowly grasp of your mother-." Aika fell short and covered her mouth. "I-I'm sorry for my foul mouth."

"No, I understand. I find it ridiculous myself." I pardoned her.

"I guess you're here in person to tell me not to go the wedding ceremony. Not to show my shameful face." Aika began to feel uneasy, until she started to cry quietly herself.

It pained me to even make such an innocent girl like her, cry over Mamoru.

"What is it that you want?" I questioned.

"Huh?" She looked up and wiped her tears away, but it couldn't disappear at all. "You think money could silence my heart?" Aika stood up and was about to leave the room. Before she could, I grabbed her arm.

"Excuse my sudden force, but that is not what I meant." I tried to explain, "please, I am here to help you. Help the both of you."

"I don't follow." She slowly turned towards me.
"Obviously Mamoru is internally suffering, I know of it. As his younger brother, I know that he still loves you and can't bring himself to chose between his family and his lover. You must know the pressure."

Aika agreed and sat back down. Her porcelain skin was now reddening, with the puff around her eyes.

"I believed that Mamoru would choose me. But that isn't the case." She pointed out.

"He has no choice because he can't admit his feelings to our mother. It may be simple, but it's not." I went on, "as his brother, I do approve of the forbidden love between you too. Our father as well has given you his blessing." I assured her.

"R-really? But it's not the same if-."

"Our mother is a complicated being. She has no concerns for anything that she can't benefit from. Pay no mind, as I surely believe that Mamoru loves you dearly." I confirmed. "Now again, what is that you want?"

Miss Aika covered her mouth with her left hand and sighed. She closed her eyes and tears continued to sob. The silent love song hummed, the song she sang before I interrupted her came back into my thoughts. Broken in spirit, she spoke.

"I want to spend the rest of my life in Mamoru's arms. I want to be with him until the day I can no longer sing another breath." She reaches for my hand and I grabbed ahold of it tightly.
Her fragile hands, in which I thought I would crush if I put anymore feelings into it.

"Then are you ready to throw your life away before the wedding tomorrow? Are you willing to give it up?" I wanted a confirmation.

Aika giggled quietly while sniffling, trying to enhance her mood just by a tiny bit.

"Yes. Yes I would give it up for Mamoru."

I could tell by her desperate sobs that she was ready. Whether or not I could truly sense it, I just knew because Queen Yua was standing over the door with her hands held together. A simple smile on her face.

If this is what I can do to help people who are dear to me, then I shall do it. Because my job is to uphold peace within this Kingdom. And tragic love between two, is not peaceful at all.
••••
<Mamoru>
By the time I had finished talking with mother about tomorrow's preparations, I had noticed that Nagisa wasn't around. It was odd because usually he wouldn't he the type to wander off, especially if it's coming home.
Could he have taken a stroll in town?

At first I thought I wouldn't look for him, but as I walked in the direction of my room, I couldn't help but to peek into other areas of the house. That was when I saw father in the main room, sitting on the couch. By the way he was playing with his hands, I knew that something was on his mind.

"Father." I called him out.

"Ah, done already? Took some time didn't it?" He asked as I sat down beside him. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm well." I said.

"Are you really?" Father pestered.

"Why wouldn't I? Tomorrow is the big day, the day you and mother have been waiting for." I added.

Father fell silent and sighed, making this whole thing very awkward.

"Where's Nagisa?" I changed the subject.

"He's out in town, wanting to visit old places and such. Don't mind him for now, he'll be back before dinner." Father assured.

"Alright, then I must be going now." I got up and was about to head back to my room, but father spoke out.

"Mamoru, you know that I support you. No matter what it is, I will never hate you."

I turned back around.

"I'm not following. What do you mean?" I asked. "You look like you have something to say, so say it."

Father looked away and then back into my gaze. I could almost see my reflection in his eyes as he walked closer to me.

"Mamoru, I won't hold you back anymore. I'm apologize on behalf of your mother as well." Father patted my shoulder. I don't think he had hugged me since I was but a small child.

I stood still and didn't know what to do at the moment. Father inched away and I automatically suspected that the distance will now only expand further. I don't want to lose Father like this. But I was frozen. My body rejected that kind of feeling to do anything about it.

Instead the only thing that I could do for Father was to smile without lying.

"Thank you."