39 | Throatless Lies

<Karma>
It didn't matter what I said, Nagisa refused to rest when advised by the medical specialists from earlier.
But if I were him and that was Yuriko, I would be doing the same. Deep down this will hurt him. Though at times like these, you just have to struggle.

While Mamoru was being treated, Nagisa decided to stay in the room with Aika. Kaede, Karasuma, and I went into a conference room and locked the door.

"Where is Irina?" I asked.

"She'll be arriving shortly. The Princess is at the village of Sage Hill for a diplomatic meeting with the Gaijins." Karasuma explained, "border regulations."

"I see."

The Gaijins were dwellers outside the Kingdom, those who don't align with us anymore. Back when the war broke out and the massacre of the noble families, some distant blood from the villages, and mistresses fled. And since then they have created a society from those people with some noble blood and others who do not believe in the system of monarchy.

The following Crowns have allowed them to live apart but still are expected to uphold respect for each other.

"I will convey the information to Irina." Karasuma nodded his head for me to proceed.

"Kaede, in detail please." I asked of her.

"A few days prior, a man had wandered into the area. A farmer I presume due to his attire and dirt. He said that he was lost so I took precautions to lead him out." Kaede mentioned.

She shook her head and looked down will holding her arm in anger.

"My carelessness. He was a spy. It wasn't until today when they attacked us in broad daylight. The cabin was surrounded so I advised those two to stay inside and send a messenger bird. I tried to fend him off but there were more than I can keep up with. It's humiliating, I couldn't keep my word."

Karasuma lifted up her chin and stared into her eyes harshly.

"Now is not the time to degrade yourself. Go on."

Kaede choked back and wiped the small tears in her eyes and gazed back over at me.

"They were armed with clubs and metal rods. So
I couldn't rely on my arrows at close range. That was then Mamoru came out to help but they all seem to be attracted like bees." She paused, "some managed to enter the cabin and take Aika hostage. Mamoru ordered me to protect her when he was being swarmed himself. What could I have done?"

Were these bandits that they happen to confront?

"When I cut through the wall of men towards Aika with a dagger. Mamoru was being tied up by the men and I felt so useless when I left him like that. I managed to free Aika but I was too, was overwhelmed. As I tied to escape with her I was hit by a wooden club and at the same time Mamoru was stabbed. I knew he was stabbed, I heard the flesh ripping wound. But thank god, thanks to the knights stationed west, the messenger bird was able to get ahold of them. Terasaka's men came to the rescue."

By now I was able to sit back and take in all the information.

"So they weren't able to catch anyone?" I questioned.

"I'm sure that a couple were captured. Terasaka must be dealing with them now." She spoke.

"Kaede." I said her name.

"Y-yes my King?" She flinched.

"Karasuma?" I added.

"Yes?" He looked over.

"Send Kaede over to the east wing. I'm afraid her arm may be broken at this point." I commanded.

Karasuma glanced over at Kaede who was surprised by the sudden thought. Obviously since she arrived she's been bracing her arm and supporting it with the other.

I stood up and placed my hand on her head, with a gentle patting motion.

"You did well." I said with ease.

"T-thank you..." She brokenly smiled.
•••••••••
<Irina>
I left Sage Hill earlier than expected. I've never felt so disgraceful to leave once a messenger bird came for me. However, the members there excused me due to the problem at hand.

In the carriage, I rode back to the palace. It would take me 3o minutes to get back and I found myself uncomfortable for feeling that Karasuma didn't further explain what happened because he knew I would react-.

The carriage halted randomly and I assumed that we made it to a crossing. Though we were idle for longer than expected to I poked my head out of the carriage.

"We're fighting with time here." I pointed out.

"My dearest apologies, Princess." He replied and I heard the wailing sound of a woman and the clamor of people.

What the hell is going on?
I got out of the carriage and proceeded forward.

"Princess Irina, please stay in the carriage." A knight on a horse who was escorting me spoke. "I will see to the matter."

But the sound took me by interest and I couldn't hold back. I ignored his words and he followed closely behind me.

Until I made it to the crowd of people on the road towards the kingdom, a woman clung to my arm.

"Someone! Please help! Send help!" She frantically shouted and the knight jumped off the horse to shield me.

"Help us!" The people magnetically approached us and I couldn't see the person who was on the ground, crying. She was the one I heard.

"Move aside please." I ordered and they wavered as they did so. I came upon an older woman on her knees, holding a unresponsive child in her arms.

"P-Princess." She called for me when I knelt down beside her to get ahold of the situation.

"Bandits looted our harvest and-." She looked down at who seemed to be her child.

There was a blacken bruise on the child's forehead and the knight checked her pulse.
He looked over at me in silence.

"I'm sorry ma'am." I caressed the child's cheek.

"...I..." The woman turned her head side to side almost refusing to acknowledge it. "She was-."

I stood back up and looked upon the crowd.
That was when a loud explosion shook the ground and smoke raised hell in the sky not far from us.
I unhesitatingly climbed on the horse.

"Princess it's dangerous-."

"Quiet will you?" I ignored him again and rode over to where the smoke was most prominent, following the direction of where the smell was also strong.

"Whoa." I commanded the horse to stop and he set down to let me off. I ran over to the nearby town of Iris and saw homes in red flames. People were screaming and escaping the heated death.

Within seconds the knight was by my side and watched the flames eat away at the houses, trees, and everyone in sight.

"Signal the stationed knights in stationed in Sage Hill and here. N-notify Karasuma. Tell him I'll be late."